AdWords
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Can You Track Call Extension Phone Calls Without A Forwarding Number?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey everyone,

As the business I'm part of relies on building long-term relationships with our clients, it's not viable for us to use Google Forwarding numbers on our ads because of the (very likely) scenario where someone saves our forwarding number on their mobile after their first call, and then gets a bad impression when they try to call us back and find out that the number no longer works.

However, as our business relies on getting phone calls for those initial leads, we definitely want to track when people use our phone number. As far as I can tell, there's no way to set up click-to-call ads, or track calls-from-ads, unless you're using a call forwarding number. Which severely limits our ability to track how our ads are actually converting.

Is there any sort of call-tracking solution for people who don't want to use Call Forwarding?

Re: Can You Track Call Extension Phone Calls Without A Forwarding Numb

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

There are a number of call tracking solutions that use dynamic numbers.

those numbers can be saved and used later as they will remain valid. but generally best if you advise people when appropriate of your core number for the long term.

I am speaking of NZ and AUS there is a great provider called AVANSER that we have had a really good experience with 

- but do make sure that you call through and check that everything is connected properly as we had an awful experience with another provider where they did not connect the numbers up properly and some other phone was ringing so we saw conversions in adwords but in the real world some other business was getting calls meant for our client, the company Delacon refused to accept any responsibility and blamed their supplier, then us, so anyway AVANSER have been great if they are in your country.

They integrated well with both GA and Acquisio which we were using at the time.

here is a list that Google promote: https://www.google.com/analytics/partners/search/apps?category=110

-------------------------
If I answered your question please 'mark as accepted answer & star' so that we know you have what you need
If my answer was helpful/useful but you still need more info please just 'star'
- if I have not answered your question fully then please let me know by reply and I or others will respond

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
So there's really no option within AdWords to track phone calls to non-forwarding numbers?

That's bizarre. I get that the tracking won't be quite as accurate without a forwarding number (ie. since it isn't being routed through Google, you won't be able to set call duration limits or even be sure that the call connected), but it still shouldn't be that difficult for Google to display a "Call" button within the ad - even when someone is using their own number - and then let me know when someone has specifically used that button instead of clicking on any other link my ad might contain.

This seems like a massive data collection oversight, surely?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by CassieH (Community Manager)
November 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Joe
this is the guts of it.

snippet: "Tracking call conversions from ads and from a website (the first two options mentioned above) requires Google forwarding numbers. Google forwarding numbers are currently available in these countries."

sourced here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6100664

i hope that answers your question, if not let me now.

-------------------------
If I answered your question please 'mark as accepted answer & star' so that we know you have what you need
If my answer was helpful/useful but you still need more info please just 'star'
- if I have not answered your question fully then please let me know by reply and I or others will respond

Re: Can You Track Call Extension Phone Calls Without A Forwarding Number?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Joe,

Our business was also worried about this same issue when initially implementing Google Forwarding Numbers. However, we have noticed that most customers don't tend to save the forwarding number too often. Although it does cost a potential second click, I find that most of them "Google" us again (getting a new tracking number) and call that way. We also started informing clients of a specific call back number (local number) if they need to get back into touch with us. It has seemed to be working well for us.

Best of luck to you!