AdWords
5.3K members online now
5.3K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Can I use {keyword} twice in the same URL with different parameters?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm running ads that need the keyword inserted twice into the same URL in different places.

My url in Google Adwords is:

mysite.com?utm_keyword={keyword}&other_param={keyword}

when this add comes to my site, the URL is actually

mysite.com?utm_keyword={keyword}&other_param=my_keywords

for some reason, one of the {keyword} tags comes through, the other is replaced with the keyword that the ad matched to.

any ideas why this is happening? thanks!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Can I use {keyword} twice in the same URL with different parameter

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Stony G, and welcome to the Community.  I can't answer why AdWords is doing this (maybe someone else can - if I took a guess it would be because you can only use the {keyword} once) but can I ask why you need it in there twice?

If you're processing the URL via a script, why would you need the same variable passed in two different URL parameters?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Re: Can I use {keyword} twice in the same URL with different parameter

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Stony G,

My guess would be that the keyword is filled in using a regular expression that only replaces on {keyword} tag.

I agree with Jon, unless you are using third party software that you can not modify. You have the keyword, why not modify your code to look at utm_keyword value instead of other_param.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords