AdWords
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Can I use ValueTrack with auto tagging?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I cant seem to get a definitive answer on this one so hopefully someone in the know can confirm one way or the other.

We currently use autotagging in adwords, which works well to a point, however its missing some critical information that I need to really figure out which ads and keywords are worth investing in. A lot of conversions are coming through showing the utm_term as Not Provided which I understand is part of the https privacy thing but unhelpful for advertisers.

If ValueTrack (i.e. appending ad URLs with keyword={keyword} e.g. http://www.example.com/?matchtype={matchtype}&keyword={keyword}) is not the best way to collect keyword data, what is?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Can I use ValueTrack with auto tagging?

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

Hi there,

This Community discussion should help when figuring out which tagging options are compatible.

'Not provided' is actually only going to appear for organic search sources, not your AdWords traffic. See here:

Screen Shot 2013-07-12 at 2.44.41 PM.png

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
CPC keywords may be reported within Adwords but im referring to within our CRM where the keyword source is not being pulled through - its not a lot use within AdWords as theres no connection to a valuable lead

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager
I'm actually saying that CPC keywords should be reported within Analytics if you have your AdWords/Analytics accounts linked and the cost source linked correctly. If you don't have everything linked properly, it could say "not set" but it wouldn't say (not provided).

(not provided) is only for organic keywords, so if it's pulling in that label for CPC keywords in your internal system, you may want to check into that with your CRM software. I'm not sure why it would pull in (not provided) for CPC keywords.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi jastheAce,

Are you sure your CRM is not looking at the referrer data and trying to report the search query using the q parameter? That would produce the results you are seeing.

I do use auto-tagging and manual tagging at the same time. There is a limit to the length of the query string allowed, but I have not reached that limit. It's something like 1024 characters. You need to be careful in doing this to be sure your traffic isn't double counted--once for the auto-tagging and again for the manual tagging. If you're using Google Analytics, I recommend you not use the utm_* parameter names. That will cause your traffic to show up in 2 sections of the reports and will make it look like you have double the traffic and conversions that you actually had.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Pete.

Now that Ive switched to using ValueTrack for my url parameters (so we can extract keyword data into our CRM) ive enabled the option in analytics for manual utm tags to override gclid data - hopefully that will avoid any double reporting. I need to keep auto tagging running for some of our other campaigns that arent using valuetrack yet.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
yes youre right - possibly our crm api is replacing an unknown kw with not provided. thanks for the info...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
quick question pete - the keyword value when using valuetrack is not the actual keyword eg in a broad match situation - it just the keyword you have in your campaign that led to the click?

it would be really good if there was a way to get the actual keyword the user typed - have you ever used keyword insertion to capture this data?

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Hi jastheace,

That is correct, {keyword} reports the keyword on which you bid, not the search query.

Is there a good way to get the actual keyword? Not at this point for individual queries. Aggregate data is available through the search terms report. Google considers this to be a privacy issue.

Before the advent of secure search, you could get the query from the referrer query string. Now it is only available if secure search was not used. I don't seem to have the option of non-secure search on Google any more. If I navigate to http:, I get redirected to https:.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
thanks for the info - its a shame but possibly the reason some people build large exact keyword lists - then theres no doubt about the term used. another way might be to use the Keyword Insight report that shows both the search term and the keyword...

i think its funny how google only seems to care about privacy when its convenient for them. read through all my emails to serve ads but dont give the query term to a paid advertiser.