AdWords
3.6K members online now
3.6K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Can I trust the method used to calulate CTR?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

It seems by using Google's formula whereby the decimal point is added, the results actually look better than they are. For example 5 clicks divided by 1000 impressions yields a CTR of  .005 vs. their formula of 0.5 divided by 100 which yields at CTR of .5.  Am I missing something or being misled about actual CTR? Thanks for your help everyone!

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Can I trust the method used to calulate CTR?

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi,

The CTR you see in your AdWords account is expressed as a PERCENTAGE 5/1000 *100= 0.5% (still equal 0.005).

Read more:- https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2615875?hl=en
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Pet P
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Pet,

I see that Ahmed already responded and I was distracted while I started responding but I'm going to post this anyways. Smiley Happy

After looking around, I think you're looking at this page. https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2615875?hl=en

This page probably isn't the best way to show how this math works. Not that mine is any better but I'll try to explain.

The numbers do all work out. In the first fraction you have 5/1000 - you can reduce that to .5/100 - either way you end up with 0.005.

5 clicks divided by 1000 impressions does = .005

Now, to convert that number (.005) into a rate (read percentage) you multiply by 100.

.005 * 100 = 0.5%

Does that help?

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
So is the CTR half of one percent, not 5/100th's of one percent?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Pet,
If your impressions are 1000. and clicks are 5, the CTR is simply (5/1000)*100
which is 0.5% (half of 1 percent).

Hope this clarifies your doubt!

Happy New year everyone!!!
Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Accepted Solution’!