AdWords
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Can I track my Analytics goal back to an Adwords Ad?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I would like to be able to setup a goal in Google Analytics, such as "User visited a specific page", and track it back to the exact Ad they clicked on.

To give a working example:

Our Google Ad will send a user to a specific page, "/search", where we ask the user to enter a search term. Sometimes the user will successfully enter a search term and click "Search" which will lead them to the next page in our funnel, "/products". Sometimes they won't complete the search and will abandon the site.

We would like to be able to track how often users successfully enter a search term based on the specific Ad we ran. So we can tell:

• If the user clicks on Ad #1 they are 50% likely to perform a successful search
  • If the user clicks on Ad #2 they are 90% likely to perform a successful search

I figure this is possible by setting up a Goal in Google Analytics, such as "User visited /products". While I can definitely see how often all of our users complete the search, I can't figure out how to tie that goal back to the ad they clicked on.

Is this possible? Is there something I am missing?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Brandon G
March 2017

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

As long as you have auto tagging enabled, and both accounts linked, the data will automatically report in analytics. How you view that in analytics all depends on the level of data you are viewing. When you say "ad", do you mean at the account, campaign, or adgroup level? If you want to view the data in aggregate: Source/medium > Google / cpc > Ad content > segment by the goal you want to view.

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

"Source/medium > Google / cpc > Ad content > segment by the goal you want to view." was the answer I was looking for.

Thank you!