AdWords
5.8K members online now
5.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Can I manually set the gclid?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Let's say a visitor clicks on one of my ads and lands on my site. I have auto-tagging enabled and the gclid is in the URL as a paramater.

I then grab that and store it in a cookie.

Then, the user signs up for a free trial account and I store the gclid in my database attached to that account.

Days later, the user logs into their account from a different computer and upgrades to a paying account. Is there a way that I could manually set the gclid for the user when they logged in? Is it set in a 1st party cookie or hidden somewhere on Google's servers?

Would the only way to handle this to be to use the import conversion tool? Wouldn't it be more streamlined if I could set the cookie when they login?

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Can I manually set the gclid?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Lucky,

That's a nice question. I have an easy alternative way to achieve what you are looking for. You can track such type of conversions by linking Google AdWords and Analytics.

Using User ID in Google Analytics, it is possible to connect multiple devices, sessions and engagements to same visitors. But this needs technical expertise on server side programming. To know more about this, kindly click here.

Once the implementation is done, using conversion paths report, you can easily visualize channel specific conversion data.

Thanks!

Shafi Ahamed

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Shafi,

This looks perfect. Will this also work for adwords though or just in google analytics? The main goal being to sync the conversions in google adwords reports.

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hi Lucky,

Once you are able to set this up in Analytics for your account, you can just set it up as a goal and import the goal as a conversion in your AdWords account.

Once the analytics part is over, importing it as a conversion is a fairly simple process.

This links should help solve your queries: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1034306?hl=en

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Shashank

Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

One caveat here using UserID - you must have way to authenticate the user (login, password etc.). If not, you have no way to know that this visitor is the one you are issuing that gclid for.

Another way to do this is if your user is using multiple devices on multiple browsers - on the same IP, Store the IP and gclid values. Ex: user goes to your site from an iPad in her home. Loves your product. Later, hops onto her desktop and goes back to your site on any browser. If the page she lands on looks at the db for her IP, bam, write that gclid value into the current page. Credit will then be given to that original gclid if she converts.

Again, this will only happen if you are on the same IP....And, this is NOT against TOS.