AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Can I manually set the gclid?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Here's the scenario: visitor 1 (V1) clicks on an ad and gets a gclid as part of their __utmz cookie. V1 passes the url to visitor 2 (V2) on another computer. V2 visits the page from the specified url and therefore does not get a gclid. V2 completes the conversion, but adwords does not record the conversion as there is no gclid.

If I can track all the above with some confidence, can I send the gclid from V1 to google when V2 completes their conversion?

Can I overwrite the __utmz cookie or can I add any javascript prior to the adwords conversion tracking script?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Can I manually set the gclid?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

The easiest way to do this is enable domain auto linking (cross domain tracking) in Google Analytics. Then import the Google analytics conversions into AdWords. It really doesn't have to be more difficult than that. Ocams Razor Smiley Happy

You'll be able to track what you want without having to mess with the cookie or your own custom javascript. With the added benefit of various other GA features.