AdWords
6.1K members online now
6.1K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Can I exclude single page visits in average visit duration?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Magnus P
September 2015

Re: Can I exclude single page visits in average visit duration?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Correct, Provided there are no engagement hits.

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Magnus,

I stand to correction on this, but I believe that it is already done. A user's time on page is not counted towards average duration unless they visit another page on your site. This will obviously include single page visits.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I thought that the time for those single page visits was set to 0 but that the visit was included and thus biased the result.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
It's not included

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Just to make sure that I get this right.
In the calculation for AVD the single page visits are excluded both in time and number. The same as when calculation average time on page.

Many thanks for the help!
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Magnus P
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Correct, Provided there are no engagement hits.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Clynton,
I have a report with 12 sessions with an average session duration of 4 seconds. Two of them have average session duration other than zero, 35 seconds and 7 seconds.
According to your response I should have had 21 seconds as total average duration, but instead Google Analytics report a total average duration of 4 seconds.
How do you explain this?

Thank you

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Magnus P, Cynton, and Tomas R,

Bounces always record 0 seconds on page, 0 pages per visit and 0 seconds per session. Similarly, the last page visited on the site will also record 0 seconds on the page. I'm sorry, Clynton, but you are wrong this time.

There are a couple things you can do. You can place an onexit() on your pages that records an event (the event being leaving your site). Here you would test to see if an internal link has been clicked. If so, do not record the page exit. This will allow Analytics to calculate time on page, and will count 1 page for the visit. But this will also prevent Analytics from counting bounces.

Another thing you may want to look into is extrapolating a more true pages per visit and seconds per session for non-bounce visits. Take your visit duration and multiply by the number of visitors (let's call this: total visit time or TVT). Now subtract the number of bounces from the total number of visits (let's call this: total non-bounce visits or TNBV). Now divide TVT/TNBV. That will give you an average visit duration for non-bounces.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
HI Peterbardo,

Really nice to know! But I was not refuting that they are recorded that way I was merely pointing out that page visit duration does not take into account the bounced visits. So the average time on page number will not include the bounced visits. It would seem that these are included in average session duration though, and that is where I extrapolated incorrectly.

Thanks for the options to take this into account though! Learn something new every day!