AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Campaign and Ad Level tracking parameters together

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

We are using tagging to deliver AdWords data to a 3rd party software. 

Right now our tracking parameters are set in each ad. I would like to clean it up a little and move some of the parameters to the campaign settings.

Can you add parameters at a Campaign level and on an Ad level and make AdWords group them into a final url? 

Ex.

Campaign level: {lpurl}?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=my-campaign

Ad level: {lpurl}&utm_content=my-ad

To land on a:

mywebsite.com/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=my-s-crcd-citi012&utm_content=applyminutes

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
July 2016

Re: Campaign and Ad Level tracking parameters together

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hi Mantas,

Yes, this is absolutely possible,

If you put in a tracking template at the highest level in an account, the template trickles down to the lowest level. For example: if you put in a tracking template at the account level, it will be applied to all the campaigns, adgroups & ad copies as well. For you to be able to do this successfully, you need to understand how to use custom parameters.

Firstly, you need to finalise on a fixed set of tracking parameters that you wish to track for your account, like campaign, keyword, etc. Next step is to hardcode all the parameters that are applicable across all levels in a campaign or an account (example: source=google, medium=cpc). Lastly, decide on the parameters that would change at each level (example - campaign=campaign1, adgroup=adgroup2).

When you have these three elements in place, ready the tracking URL with all the necessary parameters. For example: if you wish to add the tracking template on campaign level, your template would look something like this: {lpurl}?source=google&medium=cpc&campaign={_campaign}&adgroup={_adgroup}&keyword={keyword}

In this example, your campaign, adgroup & keyword are custom parameters. When this is done, you need to add 1 columns to your upload excel sheet and declare the values for each of these custom parameters.

They could be something like this: {_campaign}=mybestcampaign; {_adgroup}=mybestadgroup;

if you use excel smartly, you can declare these values for each variation of adgroup & campaign or even keyword if you wish to declare that as well. One good thing about this is that, you can do the custom parameters exercise for almost any parameter that you wish to track.

Hope this Helps!

Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

View solution in original post

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Mantas,

You can use URL builder to Generate custom campaign parameters for your advertising URLs as well . Follow link : https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033867?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

Thank you for the response. Yes I know that.

However I'm asking whether its possible to split up the tracking string across campaign and ad custom tracking parameters field.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
July 2016

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hi Mantas,

Yes, this is absolutely possible,

If you put in a tracking template at the highest level in an account, the template trickles down to the lowest level. For example: if you put in a tracking template at the account level, it will be applied to all the campaigns, adgroups & ad copies as well. For you to be able to do this successfully, you need to understand how to use custom parameters.

Firstly, you need to finalise on a fixed set of tracking parameters that you wish to track for your account, like campaign, keyword, etc. Next step is to hardcode all the parameters that are applicable across all levels in a campaign or an account (example: source=google, medium=cpc). Lastly, decide on the parameters that would change at each level (example - campaign=campaign1, adgroup=adgroup2).

When you have these three elements in place, ready the tracking URL with all the necessary parameters. For example: if you wish to add the tracking template on campaign level, your template would look something like this: {lpurl}?source=google&medium=cpc&campaign={_campaign}&adgroup={_adgroup}&keyword={keyword}

In this example, your campaign, adgroup & keyword are custom parameters. When this is done, you need to add 1 columns to your upload excel sheet and declare the values for each of these custom parameters.

They could be something like this: {_campaign}=mybestcampaign; {_adgroup}=mybestadgroup;

if you use excel smartly, you can declare these values for each variation of adgroup & campaign or even keyword if you wish to declare that as well. One good thing about this is that, you can do the custom parameters exercise for almost any parameter that you wish to track.

Hope this Helps!

Cheers,
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Shashank,

Great answer. We are doing this at the moment. Uploading a sheet to update the custom parameters for final urls at each ad level. And this is the process that I would like to simplify.

I would like to be able to define the source, medium, campaign parameters at a Campaign level tracking field. And add the Ad Group parameter at the Ad level.
Is it possible? What should be the syntax for splitting the final URL elements at Campaign and Ad Group level?

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Hi Mantas,

Sure. Let me help you with that.

All the elements that you just mentioned can be declared at the campaign or account (i.e. across all campaigns) level. Your tracking template would look something like this:

?{lpurl}source=google&medium=cpc,campaign={_campaign}&adgroup={_adgroup}

If you are not already aware of this, the syntax used for campaign & adgroup is a custom variable tracking syntax. Doing this allows me to declare the values for each custom variable at any level I wish.

There are 2 ways you could do this:

1. Take the entire tracking template and use it with your adcopies while uploading. Declare the campaign & adgroup values using the template (in a separate column) I mentioned above (separated by a ; ) and you are good to go

2. Declare the Tracking template at the campaign level and then declare the custom variables at the ad copy level when you are uploading them

I would recommend that you use the 1st option and declare the tracking template and the values along with your adcopies as it is the easiest way and ensures that no ad is missing any tagging.

Your Upload sheet would look something like this:

campaign adgroup headline d1 d2 display URL Final URL Tracking template Custom Parameter

abcd asdasd adasda asd asd abcd.com abcd.com ?{lpurl}source=google&medium=cpc {_campaign}=abcd1 ; {_adgroup}=wasd2
&campaign={_campaign}&adgroup={_adgroup}

Hope this Helps!

Cheers,

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star
apologies for the way the things got misaligned.

Here is the tracking template & Custom Parameters again for your reference:

Tracking Template:
?{lpurl}source=google&medium=cpc {_campaign}=abcd1&campaign={_campaign}&adgroup={_adgroup}

Custom Parameters:
{_campaign}=abcd1 ; {_adgroup}=wasd2

Cheers,