AdWords
4K members online now
4K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Campaign Name Difference in Adwords and Analytics

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, I'm seeing adwords campaign names that were changed about 6 months ago still showing up in analytics. I read this message from petebardo here that makes sense.

"The changed campaign name in AdWords will show in your Analytics account only going forward from the date you changed the name. Previous results will still show with the old campaign name. "

If this is true how can an Adwords campaign whose name was changed 6 month ago still show up in Analytics this month and have visits recorded. I use autotagging and do not tag manually my urls so it can't be that.

Thank you for your help.

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Campaign Name Difference in Adwords and Analytics

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi vincent,

The primary reason for Google Analytics to attribute click to an old campaign name is due to the cookie behavior differences between both products i.e. Analytics and Adwords. As per Google notes quoted for Analytics cookie:

"A campaign tracking cookie remains for six months after a visitor clicks on your AdWords ad. If the visitor returns to

your website within those six months, Google Analytics credits the visit to the original campaign. In such cases, you can expect to see more visits than clicks."

Hope that clarifies!

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

Yes, absolutely - Cookie duration. Try segmenting by visitor type. You may see a few new visits for the date range for the old campaign, but the vast majority of traffic from the paused campaign (for the current date range) should be returning visitors.

This is one of the reasons why I like to use dates in my campaign names. If I change the bidding type for example, I may re-name the campaign with the date of that change, so I can more easily compare pre-post change performance (especially when it comes to ecommerce, which you can only view in analytics).

What's more interesting, is seeing the returning visitor data, and especially ecommerce dollars. Campaigns paused years ago may still report returning and sometimes even new (which is strange indeed) revenue, but definitely, absolutely, no additional costs. Not in the UI, and certainly not on the credit card. Free google money machine - Nice! Smiley Happy

Tom

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi vincent,

The primary reason for Google Analytics to attribute click to an old campaign name is due to the cookie behavior differences between both products i.e. Analytics and Adwords. As per Google notes quoted for Analytics cookie:

"A campaign tracking cookie remains for six months after a visitor clicks on your AdWords ad. If the visitor returns to

your website within those six months, Google Analytics credits the visit to the original campaign. In such cases, you can expect to see more visits than clicks."

Hope that clarifies!

Pankaj

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Good question vincent and I think pankaj1782 answered you.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

Yes, absolutely - Cookie duration. Try segmenting by visitor type. You may see a few new visits for the date range for the old campaign, but the vast majority of traffic from the paused campaign (for the current date range) should be returning visitors.

This is one of the reasons why I like to use dates in my campaign names. If I change the bidding type for example, I may re-name the campaign with the date of that change, so I can more easily compare pre-post change performance (especially when it comes to ecommerce, which you can only view in analytics).

What's more interesting, is seeing the returning visitor data, and especially ecommerce dollars. Campaigns paused years ago may still report returning and sometimes even new (which is strange indeed) revenue, but definitely, absolutely, no additional costs. Not in the UI, and certainly not on the credit card. Free google money machine - Nice! Smiley Happy

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you pankaj1782 for your detailed reply !