AdWords
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Campaign Conversion Attribution

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello everybody,

I have a question relating to Campaign Conversion Attribution that I hope someone can shed some light on.

A client of mine has a large account with many segmented campaigns. Their brand campaign is reporting as being the majority conversion driver, and their non-brand campaigns do convert, but to a lesser extent.

Therfore, my question is this...could the brand campaign be taking conversions away from the non-brand campaigns?

The reason I ask is because the performance of the non-brand campaigns are good, but ideally we would like them to be better. As the client sells high value items, Analytics shows us that there are multiple interactions with the website before a purchase, sometimes a high number of different channels before the actual conversion occurs.

If anyone could offer some advice here, that would be greatly appreciated.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Campaign Conversion Attribution

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

@Ceri W

I certainly would't view it as the brand is "taking conversion away."  From what you've described, it sounds perfectly normal. High value ticket items are generally not instant/impulse purchases. Research and comparison shopping is involved. Your non-branded campaigns are most likely capturing prospects in the interest and consideration phases of the sales cycle. Once they make the decision to "pull the trigger" they come back through your brand campaign because they've decided on your brand. It makes sense that queries related to your brand have a higher percentage related to purchasing than your non-brand campaigns.

It sounds like you are looking at Multi-Channel Funnels in Analytics. You should drill down to the Adwords Campaign level and look at assists for non-brand. You should also check out the Attribution Modeling which is located in the Conversions section. Here you can select Adwords Only and First Interaction to see the true value of your non-branded campaigns.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Ceri, how are things?

In addition to David great answer, I'd like to say that Branded keywords are one of them most important keywords that an advertiser can use, in my opinion.

Very often consumers need to make research about what they want, and somewhere along that way they hit a brand and make up their mind. Branded keyword is something a LOT advertisers don't use (and they should), and one of the most conversions drivers out there. The branded keywords could be a bridge for the non-branded, once users have passed the research phase. You can look into that inside Tools > "Conversions" over the top menu. There you can find paths and see if campaigns are driving conversions for others.

Hope this helps.

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi David and Leandro,

Thank you both very much for your replies.

If I could just ask for some further information kindly...what I'm looking to establish is which Campaign gets the actual Conversion attribution if, for example, a user initially clicks on an Ad within Campaign A, then clicks on an Ad within Campaign B and then converts...where will the full conversion be counted?

I hope this makes sense. Please let me know if you need any further explanation.

Thank you both once again.

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

@Ceri W

Campaign B would get the credit for the actual conversion.