AdWords
5.5K members online now
5.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Calls from Website script not replacing number

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Having an issue with the call to website conversion script not replacing the phone number on the site with the Google forwarding number.

Have it set up and implemented via Tag Manager

Have a Call Extension created

Visiting the site from an ad

Cleared cached cookies

The number is a German number with +49 as the country code that displays on the website. 

When we enter the number for the Call to Website conversion should we be including the +49 in that number? Or even the + sign at all? The default in Germany is to either dial +49 or a 0 before the number, but the website just displays the +49 everywhere.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

When you use the option of putting in your phone number so that Google replaces your number with a forwarding number through the script, then you must be absolutely sure that the number your plugin for the creation of the script appears exactly as it appears on your website.  If the number has a "+", then it should have a "+" in the script your generate.  If it has a "(" then in the script it should have a "(".  

Please be aware that the call extension is different from the call tracking (it seems from your post that you understand this).  The call to website will create a different conversion, and when you create the call to extension and select to track the conversion, it will create a completely different conversion code.  

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Chris M

Interesting question about the +.  Here in the USA, area codes can sometimes be enclosed in parentheses. The rewrite script does not have a problem with that.   One possibility is that something is interfering with your script working.  Does the website in question use Wordpress?  If so, it's possible that Wordpress is stripping some or all of the javascript that makes up the rewrite script.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The number is in this format +49 5555 5555-5 on the site

The number in the script code is exactly the same format. Should I be removing spaces?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes it's wordpress, but the code is loaded in the head and Tag Assistant confirms it's loading as well. Just not replacing it. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I asked customer service about this -- their answer is that the script only fires if the current user has come in through an Ad.

If you're just trying to test that the script is working correctly, I think the only way to do that is click on your own ad and then verify it.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Did that for testing the ads. Cleared my cookies to make sure my origin source was gone and performed a search, found the ad and clicked on it and was taken to the site. No luck.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Code screen shot here http://d.pr/i/KYmwDD

Can someone else cofirm their script gets loaded in the footer?

I see the actuall scripts loading in the head though

http://d.pr/i/poS7BY

Rising Star
# 9
Rising Star

Hi Chris,

The code needs to be above </head>.

I always add it directly to the WordPress theme (I add this code daily...) either in a Header Script plugin, or the header.php file in the theme editor.

Using Tag Manager just adds extra possibilities of it being installed wrong.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

That was my suggestion as well. 

Wish there was an easier way to test coming from ads.