AdWords
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Callout extension multivariant testing

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I added the new callout extensions to our campaigns. At start I added three/campaign and later (one or two weeks) I added two more.
I noticed the last two callout texts which I added later barely got any impressions and clicks.

The last one (5th) even hasn't got any impression, so basically no chance to compete with the previous callout text versions.

I think the multi variant testing is not working properly under callout extensions. The impressions should be distributed equally amongst all callout variants or at least newly added texts have to get a chance to compete with the old ones.

Or am I missed a setting or something?

Regards,

Erno Horvath

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Callout extension multivariant testing

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Erno,

It's a bit tricky here to fully understand what you're looking for but I will offer a couple of thoughts. First, like any ad extension, Google has the ultimate say in which extensions will appear with ads and when. This also applies to callouts.

I'm really not sure how you're approaching your multi variant testing here - can you elaborate on that? I have a feeling you're referring to the way that AdWords rotates the use of your callouts but again, I'm just not sure from what you wrote here.

Seeing as they're still pretty new, I think we're all still in the feeling out process but I can also confirm that in a few accounts here, generally speaking, 3 callouts get used per ad and it also seems like the "best" or "most relevant" 3 callouts get a majority of the impressions (however that is being decided).

Sorry I don't have more/better info for you here.

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Tommy,

I think Adwords 'algorithm' not working properly for 'Callout Ads' if is there/supposed to be any.
I don't know how to make explain it more clear...

The situation is I've got callout extensions that haven't even appeared once, however others in the very same campaign have more than 6,000 impressions. For me it seems Google Adwords 'favour' the first three extensions and others can't even have a chance to get impression & CTR.

I just wonder if anyone has the same issue or I misconfigured something.

Erno

0Re: Callout extension multivariant testing

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Erno,

I have just had a look at one of my accounts and noticed the exact same thing. I added a number of call out extensions all at once. and then a week or 2 later added another one, the new extension still has not received a single impressions whereas some of the other extensions have received over 75000 impressions.

Furthermore some of the lower CTR call outs are being favoured (75000 impressions to a 3.70% CTR and 10 000 to a 11.83% CTR).

I will experiment with settings and making changes and report back when I have something to report on.

Re: 0Re: Callout extension multivariant testing

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Erno,

Found my issue, so perhaps it may be the same for you. I added my call outs at an account level (planning on a more granular choice once performance of each is noted).

The campaign level call outs then auto-populated with the call outs I originally entered. So when I added the new call out at the account level it was ignored as each campaign was using its own call outs. Not sure why this auto populate happened at the campaign level as I expressly added the call outs at an account level.

Just remember that the most granular settings will be used, so if you have ad group call outs and add a call out at the campaign level this new call out will be ignored.

I have corrected this now and will report tomorrow on whether the new call out is receiving traffic.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Erno,

I can confirm that my new call out is receiving impressions at a decent rate. So ensure that your new call out is set at the correct level (account/campaign/ad group).

Hope this helps