AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Call tracking on website does not work. How to debug ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

We have setup a call tracking on a website using Google Tag Manager. We use the _googWcmGet function and we are trying to track several phone numbers.

It does not seem to work and I tried to use the #google-wcc-debug tag in the URL bug it is not very helpful.

Is there a limitation of tracking phone numbers ? How can we test ? How to be sure we did the right configuration ?

Please advise.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Jonathan F

Have you tried Chrome's Tag Assistant? Besides that you should use Tag Manager preview mode, click one of your ads and then visit the page to read the data layer and see what is happening. 

In my experience, Tag Manager is not the best way of installing call tracking, especially with multiple numbers. 

Try this article, it might be useful: http://www.lunametrics.com/blog/2016/06/06/adwords-call-conversion-tracking-google-tag-manager/

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Abbie,

Thank you for your answer.

1. Yes I have installed the Tag Assistant.

2. I have tried the Tag Manager preview mode. Whether it is for 1 phone number or several phone numbers, it only says that 1 event has been fired, nothing more.

3. I read your article and I tried it. It does not work with multiple phone numbers.

I extended my research to find a solution for multiple phone numbers. Some posts from 2015 & 2016 mentioned that it is not possible to handle multiple phone numbers. Is it still the case ?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jonathan F
August

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jonathan, 

I checked and can confirm that using Google's auto-replace snippet for Adwords tracking will not work with multiple phones numbers.

Your best option if you wish to still use this method is to use one phone number on the landing page. If that isn't possible, I'd recommend you look into a third party option for your client which can integrate well with Analytics and Adwords like CallRail or Infinity.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Abbie,

From what I understand, there is a couple of  ways of doing the call tracking. When you say "Google's auto-replace snippet", do you mean the Javascript that contains the _googWcmGet() function ? Or the feature that auto-replace a single phone number ?

Thank you.