AdWords
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Call extensions from outside the country

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

So I have call extensions set up on my account at the campaign AND adgroup levels.  But I'm in Mexico and I'm marketing internationally.

My 888-number is only active in the states, so I can't use that to advertise in some far away country.

My local number is getting clicked but I've only received one call from this source, despite the link having been clicked 10 or 15 times.

Is it possible that the format of the number isn't permitting people to actually ring through (or have I just missed the call)?  Are they getting some error message when they try?

I'd expect that Google is smart enough to have this feature dialed in. But still... is it possible?  Is there any way to verify that people in international markets are actually ringing through?

-Mateo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mateo F
September 2015

Re: Call extensions from outside the country

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
IMO, you make different campaign targeting to different location and have local phone number in your call extensions where ever possible. If you don't have local phone number for some locations, then i suggest that you don't add call extension there because it will again not going give you calls because once the user will see the international phone number max. of then will not dial it.

My views!

Abhishek

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

When somebody click on the phone number (or the call link) on an mobile ad, the phone number appears on his/her phone, and he/she now needs to click once again on the phone's call button, so it is possible that people click on your ad but they don't call you, maybe they don't want to call an US number when they see it on their phone...

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Igor - Thanks for the comment. I think you may be onto something here. I think an international numbert could potentially scare away shoppers. With respect to the actual format, though, do you know if Google verifies the number before approving the extension, or could I potentially put in any bit of nonsense and have it approved (e.g. 123-456-7890 )? If I add a "1" in front of the number, does google know that that's not part of the actual number, but a potentially required element of a dialing string? These are the questions I'm struggling with.

-Matt

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Mateo

The reason you are not getting calls after getting clicks on your call extension is Google don't show the phone number on mobile devices, instead of that a call button appears along with the ad. In that case when a user clicks on the call button, a international number appears on their dial pad which obviously they don't want to dial.
And as per my knowledge Google doesn't verify call extension before approving it. I suggest that you make a different campaigns on basis of location where a user can directly call to you after clicking the call extension.

Hope this helps!

Abhishek

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Cool. Thanks for the reply, Abhishek.

Just to clarify, are you suggesting that I remove the call extension on these campaigns or that I modify the phone numbers in order to display a local phone number?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mateo F
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
IMO, you make different campaign targeting to different location and have local phone number in your call extensions where ever possible. If you don't have local phone number for some locations, then i suggest that you don't add call extension there because it will again not going give you calls because once the user will see the international phone number max. of then will not dial it.

My views!

Abhishek