AdWords
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Call extensions - details on numbers?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We recently implemented Call extensions so our client is seeing the Google Forwarding number on the ads themselves, as well as the number switch on the website (after implementing the javascript code from Google).

I have a couple questions that I can't find answers to:

1) We notice that different ads get different call forwarding numbers.  Is this normal?

2) Do the numbers associated with ads ever change?

3) How long is the forwarding good for?  For example, if someone writes down the number and then goes to call it 4 months later.....what happens?

4) We notice that the number that is switched on the clients website is not the same number as the ad?  Is this normal?

5) We also notice that if you clear cookies, the number on the site also changes.

6) Just how many forwarding numbers does Google apply to our account?

Thanks for any help!

-Kevin

Re: Call extensions - details on numbers?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Kevin,

As mentioned below
http://adwords.blogspot.in/2014/08/introducing-website-call-conversions.html

A unique Google forwarding number is generated for each AdWords ad click. These numbers will continue to display for up to 90 days to capture future call conversions.

regards,
Rahul Goel

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
And is that number stay as long as the ads are getting clicks? Or does it ever change.

How do they handle the numbers that they give for websites, since those are different than the ad numbers and also, they change based on user.

-Kevin

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello Kevin,

I am not sure how they handle these numbers.
but as system automatically generate a unique number every-time a user click to your ad and goes to your landing page. these number are not same for each click but they are tracked correctly. as mentioned below
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722054#calls_from_websites

Hope this helps!

Rahul Goel

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner
1. Yes. The Google call forwarding number is assigned at the adgroup level. The adgroup must meet the minimum click/CTR/PTR threshold to continue to accrue phone impressions for that adgroup.

2. Yes, they can. If an adgroup falls below the thresholds, you may "lose" that number. Then, if/when you meet the thresholds again, get a new number.

3. That depends on whether or not that Google call forwarding number is still part of your account.

4. Supposedly, the number on site will remain for up to 90 days for each user(?)... The call forwarding number shown with the ads, should apply only to that adgroup, and stay with that adgroup.

5. What number does it change to? Your standard phone number?

6. How many adgroups qualify for call forwarding call extensions?

http://www.thomascreekconcepts.com/google-call-forwarding-call-extensions/
Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Tom, thanks for all the info.

As for #5, what I noticed in testing, as Google stated, I cleared the cookie set by call extensions (actually cleared all cookies). Re-ran the search and clicked on the ad again. I noticed that the number that replaces our standard number on the site, wasn't the same as before. This was clicking on the same ad, just without the cookies.

As for #6, we have probably 40+ ad groups that all have call extensions.

So they assign a number to each ad group? Can you drill down in reports to tie calls to a particular ad?

This is all new to us.....so just trying to understand. Our client's biggest concern is that someone makes note of the number and then tries to call in the future, and ends up calling someone else.

-Kevin

Badged Google Partner
# 7
Badged Google Partner
That makes sense. If you clear all your history, then go through the process again, you should see a "new" or "different" call forwarding number on site, because you are a "new user". Then, that number would/should show for that unique user for 90 days.

As far as what conversions you can see where, the client's concerns regarding call forwarding numbers, etc., That's all in the post I linked above. Smiley Happy
Tom