AdWords
4K members online now
4K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Call conversion tracking - same number different pages

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone,

How do I track phone calls on a new landing page, that has the same phone number as the contact page on my website? I'm already successfully tracking the phone number on the contact page. Is it as easy as creating a new call conversion tracking code in AdWords for the landing page and installing that or will it mess-up the tracking of the same phone number on the contact page? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks 

Charlie

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Use the same conversion code.

All AdWords conversion tracking is the same - it doesn't matter where you put it. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the reply Rob.

How in reporting then would I tell the conversions apart? Those that converted on the landing page and those that converted on the contact

page? 

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Charlie,

In the dimensions tab there is a Final URL report where you can compare the URLs ads send people to. 

But if the ads send people to the same landing page, and you wish to know whether they called from that page, or went to another page and then called, AdWords can't tell you that. And you can't see call conversions in Analytics.

You could create a click on the phone number Analytics event, which would give you an idea of where the calls are coming from. Not perfect, as a click doesn't always equal a call, but with enough data that shouldn't matter - the number of non-calls shouldn't vary much from page to page. 

Ultimately you need ask yourself why you need to know this. I have placed call tracking in hundreds of sites and no client has ever wanted to know this. Knowing which keyword / ad got them a call is valuable. Knowing which page they called from, not so much. If the phone number is prominent on every page, you are already doing all you can.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Rob, appreciate the response.

It's just that we are testing a landing page built specifically for the type of traffic coming from our PPC campaigns. 

We wanted to know if people were converting from the LP or navigating to the contact page and enquiring that way. The amount of conversions outside the LP would only be small and shouldn't skew the LP data too much anyway.