AdWords
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Call conversion tracking - multiple phone numbers on one page

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone,

Is there a way to track two different phone numbers on one page with call conversion tracking? I've got a business with two office locations and I want to track calls from our AdWords campaigns to each office.

I've tried creating two call conversion tags, one for each phone number but it still isn't working.

Any help would be much appreciated.

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Google AdWords is going to lump them together as a "phone call conversion".  The way I have done this in the past (this isn't the most elegant solution) is to use Google voice numbers on the landing page, so they are also tracked as conversions by AdWords, then forwarding them through an inexpensive VoIP number which can generate emails, text messages, and spreadsheet log entries each time there is an "event". This also serves the purpose of capturing calls which are entered into a cell phone without clicking on the web page. You can reconcile the alerts from the forwarding numbers, with your AdWords conversion report.

That solution is not particularly elegant, and does not scale because Google voice numbers are allocated one per email address, US only.

There are 3rd party solutions which address this issue, but they are beyond the scope of this forum.  Just be aware, they do not necessarily integrate as well, or as fully as you might want them to and they will probably used "number pools" which change each time the web page is rendered.

You could setup Google Analytics "events" to track each click on two phone call buttons; however you are going to miss the conversions where the numbers are simply keyed into a cell phone.

Others may have better suggestions. This is a topic where I have plenty of room to learn, I am still looking for better solutions myself. 

hth Charlie!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for replying Steve. I'll look into it, we're UK based so not sure if we even have Google Voice. Good suggestion on tracking the button clicks in Analytics. 

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

You're welcome and good luck with it.  Phone call tracking for small businesses with more than one number, is an area that I hope Google is enhancing as they expand AdWords reach to address the needs of more small and medium-scale businesses.

I run into the need for this frequently and is difficult for 3rd party vendors to augment AdWords adequately, partially because of https: issues.  Just tracking clicks doesn't really solve the problem satisfactorily because a lot of people enter the number into their cell phone.  Using "number pools" is not a high fidelity solution, it is frequently rejected because most small businesses to not want to put temporary numbers into circulation, just to achieve tracking.

Let us know if you figure out a good solution, and I'll be watching for more posts on this.