AdWords
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Call Tracking

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Question on the call tracking:

is the href and onclick function with phone number still needed when call tracking and Google forwarding number is used?

example:
<body onload="_googWcmGet('number', '888.123.4567')">

then the following:
<a class="number" href="tel:+8881234567" onclick="ga('send', 'pageview', '/click-to-call/');">888.123.4567</a>

1 Expert replyverified_user

Call Tracking

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hey Sergey, 

Call tracking with a custom Google Number will accurately track calls that exceed the minimum duration you set. This should be accurate enough for you but that being said it looks like you also have Google Analytics event tracking connected as well. 

Personally, I would recommend you keep the event tracking albeit not integrated inside of Google AdWords as a conversion. This way you can keep track of the number of people that are clicking to call vs. the number of people actually calling. 

Let me know if this helps! 

- Josh

Joshua, Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Re: Call Tracking

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

• With AdWords call tracking you will only understand performance of your AdWords campaign While your on click GA code will help you in tracking performance of non AdWords campaigns as well. 
  • I would suggest you should use hitcallback because your href will take user outside browser on mobile devices before event is fired.

Hope this helps

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Call Tracking

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

appreciate it.

I am using dedicated Adwords pages for this campaign hence the questions. Would it be wise to remove href? would the phone click work on other then iphone mobile devices without an href?

Call Tracking

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi

There is no harm in still keeping href but I would suggest you also take a look at hitcalllback link which I have shared in previous post. 

Phone click should work on almost all smart phones including iOS and Android.

Regards, Nik

Call Tracking

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

If I keep the href the phone number is not replaced by Adwords, is that right? and the user will end up calling the number in the href instead of the Google forwarding number.

thank you.

Call Tracking

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Well thats strange I dont think having href should break your adwords forwarding number functionality as long as you have the class of element as number. Are you sure its breaking?

Regards, Nik