AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Call Tracking

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

I am wondering can anyone explain some aspects of call tracking to me.

When I add call extensions to my campaigns - does this just show up in ads on smartphones, or are they shown to all users? When I look at my call extension stats, what exactly is the "click"?

I was under the impression that call to click wasnt available in Ireland where I am based?

Also outside of this a bit:

Has anyone any experience of tracking calls form a site? I reckon that much of my ppc traffic is coming to site, and then picking up the phone. This leaves a low conversion rate. It's not always possible that my client can ask the prospect where did they come from. Has any one else over come this issue?

Thanks everyone

Emma

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by ScottyD (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Call Tracking

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey Emma,

I'll see if I can clarify a few things for ya!

When I add call extensions to my campaigns - does this just show up in ads on smartphones, or are they shown to all users?

It depends. If you are using a Google Call Forwarding number, then the phone number will show-up on all available devices. If you are using your own number (not a Google Forwarding number), then it is only eligible to appear on mobile devices.

When I look at my call extension stats, what exactly is the "click"?

You need to be aware of two different data sets when measuring click-to-call performance. When viewing the Ad Extensions tab > Call Extension report, a click simply means your ad was clicked when the number was present. This does NOT mean the searcher specifically clicked the phone number. In order to find out how many users actually clicked the phone number, you need to use the Segment feature and choose 'Click Type' (View 'Apply Segments to Break Down Your Data' section.) This will tell you how many clicks your headline & specific extensions received.

I was under the impression that call to click wasnt available in Ireland where I am based?

From what I understand, Click-to-Call phone numbers are available for 200+ countries (could not find a list), but Call Metrics may be limited. Sorry, hopefully someone else will have a better answer for this one.

Tracking calls from your site

This is difficult to track due to the fact that when someone does call, this is an 'offline' conversion. One option would be to setup a stand alone landing page that has a unique forwarding phone number listed (ifbyphone.com is a good service, Google also has one.) You can then send all AdWords traffic to this specific page, which someone can only reach if they click on an ad. You can then look at call detail reports through whatever service you are using and can assume that all the phone calls made were generated from AdWords due to the fact that these are the only visitors that can reach the page.

However, if you are sending traffic to a mobile specific website, then you can setup tracking on the phone number, which would then provide data on whether that phone call was generated from an AdWords ad. See 'Set up on a mobile site with a phone number'

Hope some of this information helps. Let me know if you have additional questions.

Thanks,

BI

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by ScottyD (Top Contributor)
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey Emma,

I'll see if I can clarify a few things for ya!

When I add call extensions to my campaigns - does this just show up in ads on smartphones, or are they shown to all users?

It depends. If you are using a Google Call Forwarding number, then the phone number will show-up on all available devices. If you are using your own number (not a Google Forwarding number), then it is only eligible to appear on mobile devices.

When I look at my call extension stats, what exactly is the "click"?

You need to be aware of two different data sets when measuring click-to-call performance. When viewing the Ad Extensions tab > Call Extension report, a click simply means your ad was clicked when the number was present. This does NOT mean the searcher specifically clicked the phone number. In order to find out how many users actually clicked the phone number, you need to use the Segment feature and choose 'Click Type' (View 'Apply Segments to Break Down Your Data' section.) This will tell you how many clicks your headline & specific extensions received.

From what I understand, Click-to-Call phone numbers are available for 200+ countries (could not find a list), but Call Metrics may be limited. Sorry, hopefully someone else will have a better answer for this one.

Tracking calls from your site

This is difficult to track due to the fact that when someone does call, this is an 'offline' conversion. One option would be to setup a stand alone landing page that has a unique forwarding phone number listed (ifbyphone.com is a good service, Google also has one.) You can then send all AdWords traffic to this specific page, which someone can only reach if they click on an ad. You can then look at call detail reports through whatever service you are using and can assume that all the phone calls made were generated from AdWords due to the fact that these are the only visitors that can reach the page.

However, if you are sending traffic to a mobile specific website, then you can setup tracking on the phone number, which would then provide data on whether that phone call was generated from an AdWords ad. See 'Set up on a mobile site with a phone number'

Hope some of this information helps. Let me know if you have additional questions.

Thanks,

BI

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks so much Bluelon. Really simplified this for a relative noob!

If anyone has some Irish info would also be highly appreciated!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Just to follow up on the above:

This is my call extensions screen. As you will see below, the option to use a call forward is greyed out - does anyone know why this might be? It is the same for all of the PPC accounts I manage, which made me think the option might not be available in Ireland!

Emma

Select a campaign
Choose...
Add call extension

Drive and measure phone calls to your business by adding a phone number to your text ads.  
Country or territory

Phone number

Phone number options  

Use a call forwarding number from Google to get enhanced reporting and to show a phone number on mobile phones, desktops, and tablets

Show my phone number only on mobile phones.
Mobile-specific options  
Show links both to my website and to my phone number
Show only the link to my phone number
This ad extension works with location extensions. Learn more