AdWords
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Call Extensions and Location Extensions Update - What are advertisers supposed to do now!?

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

I'm guessing many of you have had the Google Call Extensions / Location Extensions email by now, I'm surprised not to see an update here on the forums from Google about this change, or maybe I am looking in the wrong place? I find this very frustrating because it is leaving my clients in a difficult position and I am unsure of what to suggest to them.

1. Advertisers using local untracked numbers for Google My Business risk losing conversion data if those numbers show along side ads.
2. Advertisers using tracked numbers separately will also have problems, meaning there is no way for us to tell where the call has come from.
3. Advertisers can stop using location extensions with ads in order to only show one number, but this might seriously effect conversion rates in some cases.

4. If we don't know which number is going to be shown how on earth can we track appropriately??

calls may be directed to the phone number associated with that business location - even if a different phone number is used in your call extension.

How is this in any way helpful to advertisers trying to manage calls effectively? I understand this is to keep things simple for those searching but it feels like a kick in the teeth for those who rely on accurate call tracking. 

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome, as my clients are confused and frustrated. And frankly so am I. 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Call Extensions and Location Extensions Update - What are advertisers supposed to do now!?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

This is just rolling out...

Hmm... In another discussion  a user suggested that phone extensions  can be set manually;

We have asked Google to clarify;

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Advanced-Features/Automated-extensions-how-can-I-check-or-...

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks for this, yeah I know but a lot of my clients are heavily reliant on calls and they are all rather worried. There is so little info I can give them on this. 

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Abbie R;

I'm looking at emails received - I don't see this line: Where is this taken from?

"calls may be directed to the phone number associated with that business location - even if a different phone number is used in your call extension."

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: Call Extensions and Location Extensions Update - What are advertisers supposed to do now!?

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Screen Shot 2017-01-10 at 15.27.17.png

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

OK; this is a different format when both extensions are used.

Let's wait for Google to clarify

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Great questions @Abbie R !

I wonder how this is going to effect my clients who use 3rd-party call tracking?  They own a bank of dedicated phone numbers, one of which is displayed dynamically in the header of their landing page(s) each time a page is served from their site. But it is different each time the page is served.

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

I have clients in similar positions as well.

In those cases, where it's affordable I'd probably suggest using a different number especially for the Google My Business page. As far as I can see, that is the only way of accurately attributing conversions now. 

It would also be a better solution in the long term I think. 

Rising Star
# 9
Rising Star

The obvious solution is to provide call tracking for Google My Business customers if they have an active AdWords account. 

This is a strange move from Google, and I don't see the benefit. While it could improve conversions, if it isn't measurable it will be hard for advertisers to know.

Google will know, by aggregating all clicks on phone number links. So I guess this is a test that will only affect enough advertisers for Google to know if there is value in expanding their call tracking. 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Abbie R
January 2017

Re: Call Extensions and Location Extensions Update - What are advertisers supposed to do now!?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

@Abbie R@Steve B;  
@Connie C

Google replied that they are working on some help documentation, to clarify the confusion  raised because of 2 emails sent about the  time - depending on the extensions used by the advertiser,

In brief: the principle is that call extensions will continue to show, including reporting (for those who set call extensions). 

In addition, Google might show also a local business number (published on other resources). The  additional local number will not override the call extension. The additional local number, if shown, will  be next to the call extension. You can opt out by filling in the form per account (No option for an MCC level opt out)