AdWords
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Call Extensions & Conv Tracking w/ Google forwarding number

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello,

I have two call extentions set up with a Google Forwarding number in a campaign for a local US busines. One is for PC and the other for Mobile.

I have set up conv. tracking the call extention using a Google Forwarding number about a week and a half ago and I am only seeing conv data for Mobile calls. I also want to track PC/ Desktop calls as conversions.

My query:

1. Is it possible to set up conv tracking for PC traffic with a google forwarding number?

2. If so is it possible for that phone number to be a local number with a local area code?

Thanks,

Leah

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by John Paul (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Call Extensions & Conv Tracking w/ Google forwarding number

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Leah,

Thanks for your posting. In answer to your 2 queries:

1. Is it possible to set up conv tracking for PC traffic with a google forwarding number?

Answer } With Google forwarding numbers, calls using your mobile call extensions are reported as regular conversions. Because calls placed from desktop ads can’t be linked directly to clicks, they’re reported as estimated conversionsTo find your estimated call conversion data for desktop and tablet ads, add the "Estimated total conversions" column following the steps below.

To find your call conversion data for mobile call extensions:

1. Sign in to AdWords at http://www.adwords.google.com
  2. Select the campaign or ad group you want to work with.
  3. From the Columns dropdown menu, select Customize columns.
  4. Under “Select metrics,” click Conversions.
  5. Add conversion columns as needed.
  6. Click Apply.
  7. Your call conversion data will appear in your campaign or ad group table in the row “Calls from ads.”

2. If so is it possible for that phone number to be a local number with a local area code?

Answer } Unfortunately, no. To quote from the AdWords help page that covers this topic,"Custom Google forwarding numbers should not be used for any other purpose. These numbers are a property of Google and can change or be reassigned at any time. Also, you'll be unable to identify calls generated from AdWords versus calls generated from other sources or marketing efforts.

You can find more information on topic at this link here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454052?hl=en

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lea H
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Lea,

To answer your question about desktop calls as conversions you might want to look at a 3rd party call tracking company as they can track calls that come from your website. Just do a search for call tracking and you will find a few that can help you out.

Thanks,
Drew

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hello Drew,

Yes I did exactly that and I am starting to work with a company called:
Call Tracking Metrics. Thanks so much for your input!

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hello John,

Thank you so much for your reply, I have learned that this is true, Google does not offer a (free) solution to track calls as conversions from non mobile users. I am going to start using a third party solution (extra cost), I hope this will be efficient.

Thanks,
Lea