AdWords
6.7K members online now
6.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Call Extension Tracking/Google Forwarding Number - script explanation

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

This is in reference to the setup instructions for: Track calls to a Google forwarding number on a website

The instructions provided outline how to "Create a JavaScript snippet to display a Google forwarding number," but they really aren't clear about what the arguments for that function are.

Here is the snippet they provide:  _googWcmGet(target, business_number, options)

I'm most confused with business_number. The only explanation provided is "Your business phone number." 

Is this the number that the Google forwarding number is going to route to? Is this the number that is being replaced on the page? Is it the fallback number, in case a forwarding number can't be retrieved? Why does a number even need to be passed in, if the target argument is the one that does the replacement, and the Ad extension is going to determine what it is ultimately forwarded to?

Here's some additional background information. In our situation, we have a standard number that is displayed on the website. We have 2 additional numbers (that we added as Ad extensions) for internal tracking of Adwords calls and Adwords calls from mobile. Up to this point, we used our own javascript to swap out the main number based on where the visitor was coming from.

If we were going to migrate to use Google's call forwarding for more robust tracking, what number would we pass into the business_number parameter? The number that we want the call to forward to? Isn't that already determined by the ad extension? The original number? Isn't that being replaced by the target argument?

Really just looking for some more clarity on how this function is working, so that we can configure it correctly. 

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Matthew C
September 2015

Re: Call Extension Tracking/Google Forwarding Number - script explanat

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I received this response from Google, which answered my questions. It's here if anyone else has the same questions:

To clarify the forward calling process, the business_number in the code snippet is the number that client wants Google to forward the end call to. The target parameter is the actual phone number apparent on the client's website. Then, the call will be redirected to google that registers the conversion. Afterwards, Google routes the call to the business number where the customer's call will finally be forwarded to.

However, It is important to understand that the business and target number can be the same number.

There is a clear benefit of having a different business and target number when a company has only a general business number online but wants a particular function/department within their company to handle the client call. For example, when launching a CPC campaign they can forward customers to a particular sales team/phone extension within their company that will "pitch" to the customer and handle orders. This would allow customers with clear interest/intent in the company's products/services to get forwarded to the correct department directly instead of being redirected between departments.

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Welcome @Matthew C,

Business no. is your phone no. which is you use on website and want to track the clicks on it.

Simply 3 types of conversion tracking as you also know:

call only/ call extension

google forwarding no.

phone calls from website

In first scenario you don't need to setup any tracking code. Just setup call duration. 

See this URL:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6095882?hl=en

Now if you want track call from website then you just see this URL;

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6095883?hl=en

On this url you will find simple example for how to setup tracking code for call from google forwarding no.

I sure you will find solution from my reply.

Regards

Mohit

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello @Mohit B,

Thanks for responding,  you didn't really address my questions. In fact, you pointed me back to the page (

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6095883?hl=en)

that I referenced in my question. The explanation on that page is the problem. My question is specifically about the business_number argument in the on-site call tracking javascript function:  _googWcmGet(target, business_number, options)

To repeat myself:

Is this the number that the Google forwarding number is going to route to? Is this the number that is being replaced on the page? Is it the fallback number, in case a forwarding number can't be retrieved? Why does a number even need to be passed in, if the target argument is the one that does the replacement, and the Ad extension is going to determine what it is ultimately forwarded to?

Please refer back to my original post to see why these questions are relevant. We've got multiple phone numbers that we are using for different purposes, and I want to make sure that the calls are being routed and tracked correctly.

Thank you.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Matthew C
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I received this response from Google, which answered my questions. It's here if anyone else has the same questions:

To clarify the forward calling process, the business_number in the code snippet is the number that client wants Google to forward the end call to. The target parameter is the actual phone number apparent on the client's website. Then, the call will be redirected to google that registers the conversion. Afterwards, Google routes the call to the business number where the customer's call will finally be forwarded to.

However, It is important to understand that the business and target number can be the same number.

There is a clear benefit of having a different business and target number when a company has only a general business number online but wants a particular function/department within their company to handle the client call. For example, when launching a CPC campaign they can forward customers to a particular sales team/phone extension within their company that will "pitch" to the customer and handle orders. This would allow customers with clear interest/intent in the company's products/services to get forwarded to the correct department directly instead of being redirected between departments.