AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Call Details Reporting Area Codes Outside My Target Area

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I am getting about 90% of the area codes coming from outside my target area in the call details report for my call extensions.

Can anybody explain why this might be happening?  I am doing advertising for a local hospital, so calls outside the area code are not worthwhile.

Thanks,

Andy

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Call Details Reporting Area Codes Outside My Target Area

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey Andy,

Keep in mind that somebody may be in your targeted area, but using a phone with an outside area code as you are not targeting by area code. This is possible for cell phone users, especially for those that move/travel a lot.

Are you running a search campaign targeted at mobile devices?

How big is your geographical targeted area - city, state, other?

Do you have any other tracking / key performace indicators (KPIs) other than phone calls?

Thanks,

BI

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello Andy,

In your advanced location options choose: "People in your targeted location" (vs. the default setting of: "People in, searching for, or viewing pages about your targeted location" - resulting in users outside your targeted area, who search about your area get to see your ads.) .

That should resolve your problem.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the reply,

The geographical area is just the Knoxville, TN MSA.  I'm getting area codes from DC, NY, Houston, etc.

In fact, last month only two of 37 calls were from a surrounding area code.  Incidentally, they had some of the longest durations.  The rest of the calls were only a few seconds here and there (probably becasuse they were from an outside area).

My Analytics indicates that the paid clicks are coming from Tennessee.

There can't be that many people with outside area codes calling hospitals in East Tennessee, can there?

Andy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Moshe,

I just did that earlier today.  Hopefully that will help.  

It's just strange that my Analytics is reporting that the paid clicks are coming from Tennessee...

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Wait 24 hours for all data in Analytics to be updated.

Could be that the TN data had been reported before you implemented the change

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I meant all the data from the past month had clicks coming from Tennessee.  But the calls were coming from all different area codes.

I don't think that many people in East Tennessee have outside area codes, do they?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

You said that only yesterday you started to Geo-target " People in your targeted location"

So all past data is irrelevant....