AdWords
5.8K members online now
5.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Cal tracking on a website with multiple local telephone numbers

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, I have a client who has 12 + local telephone numbers on his website,. These feature throughout the site. I need to track the calls from AdWords and presently I'm aware that Adwords will only generate one telephone number and my client isn't happy with this.Can anyone recommend a solution or 3rd party company who can help with this?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Jennifer N,

It sounds messy to have so many phone numbers on one website. I say this from a consumer side. 

With that said, You should be able to set up call tracking with Google Analytics and get this done. 

If you still need multiple tracking numbers, please contact these people for more information. Note: this is a suggestion from myself, a badged Google Partner... and no one else. 

Kind Regards,

James

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Jennifer N,

The alternative is to use Google Analytics events to track clicks on the phone numbers. This will only work for mobile visitors, and not every click leads to a call.

Also, some sites have a contact page with a list of locations, and each location has its own page with the contact details on it. Visits to those pages can be measured to give an indication of at least intentions to make contact. This can be a very meaningful statistic. 

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

It depends on what you're trying to track. If you are looking for all the stats that come with actual call tracking, then you are going to need a third party if the AdWords code can't meet all your needs. Call Rail, or Mongoose for example. If all you are trying to do is some aggregate AdWords phone call stats, then use AdWords call forwarding at the ad level, and analytics event tracking for mobile click to call clicks on site. You won't get any manual call data (at all) from the website, but you won't get any of that data as is either. 

With an analytics event/goal/conversion, you would get source/medium data for all onsite click to call clicks. That would certainly have some added value for the client in the long run. Especially if you are generating the majority of calls. Smiley Happy

In the doc @James_Clemens cited, it looks like there are two different ways to do this. Will onsite call forwarding call tracking work if you do it manually?

Tom

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

James, I have a similar issue with a silicon valley AdWords client who uses a bunch of numbers on their website. 

I contacted the vendor you mentioned, because they are by all accounts at the top of that game; they gave me a 1-hour private seminar.  What i learned is that no vendor but Google can track AdWords calls down to the keyword level using FIXED phone numbers, because AdWords went https:  

Since the https: transition, within AdWords only a Google voice tracking number can track calls down to the keyword level, while using a fixed number on the site. If anyone wants to prove me wrong about that discovery, please do so as I would be delighted to learn there is a way around it.

If you use a 3rd-party vendor, then you are going to be using numbers drawn from a rotating bank of non-fixed numbers.  I have found that especially clients with several phone numbers, do not like that solution. 

You Google Analytics call tracking solution sounds like the way to go for now!

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Steve B,

That sounds spot on and is super helpful info. Thanks for updating this thread... and all of us. 

Cheers,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Clemens,

That is not solving the problem of tracking call leads as paid leads and having them attributed as the conversions at keyword level.