AdWords
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

CPC

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Keyword Planner vs. Keyword Tool:

I realized that the result of the Average Cost per Click (Avg. CPC) is different.

one example:
please type the words: dog training

given result:

Avg. CPC using the Keyword Planner: 1,33 $
Avg. CPC using the Keyword Tool: 1,93 $

I tested it with other words as well and it's always different.
I do understand that it's just an estimation.

But shouldn't that estimation be the same for both tools ?
And if not, why is the result of the Avg.CPC different ?

Thank you very much for any info,
appreciate it !

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: CPC

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello there;
The keyword planner 's CPC data refers only to the "exact match" type; while the "old" keyword tool included also the "broad match" . This the main reason to the discrepancies. (The other is re-mapping  the geographic areas Google included in the statistics).

Please keep in mind that those are not estimates: Estimates are given by the "traffic estimator".  Those are real numbers, advertisers actually paid.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hello und Thank you very much for the info.

But I have to say, when I use the Keyword Planner and the Keyword Tool, I always set both of them to "exact".

So shouldn't they show the same ?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Bernhard ;

Theoretically they should. However- I think that Google recalculated the statistical  data, based on  new Geo regions,  when the switch took place.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
hmm.. ok.. but which one is valid ?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi  again Bernhard;
Hmm.... Since the keyword tool is slowly phasing out - I stopped using it .... (A matter of weeks - I think it's already behind schedule - the initial announcement said that the tool would phase out within 60 days...)).

You should rely on the data by the keyword planner - that's what Google provides....Smiley Surprised

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We can't anyway completely depend on these both they are just average values, Actual values may even go up than provided in the tool.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
@Alen; I agree. Average could be misleading, if the standard deviation is not reported. (And Google does NOT report it)