AdWords
6.7K members online now
6.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

CPC went up after an error in the lead tracking code, how can I get it back to normal cost?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

We have been running Google ad-words campaign for almost a year. The results were great and the CPC was almost at $0.7. In one week we had an error in the conversion tracking goal and setup. The bid was automated per conversion and the conversion went significantly high due to a tracking error. After the error is fixed, the CPC is now around $1.4. 

How can I drive the CPC back to its normal average cost?

Thanks!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Ali-B (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: CPC went up after an error in the lead tracking code, how can I get it back to normal cost?

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi ayoussef,

Welcome to the forum!

In terms of account optimization, I would suggest that you continue to do what has worked over the past year, as it sounds like you've been implementing best practices for your campaigns to succeed.

It might be helpful to turn off the conversion optimizer for the time being since this uses historical data to make bids. Due to your tracking breaking, a cost per converion will be higher than normal when looking at all time stats. After running with manual bids for a month or so (or until you accrue at least 15+ conversions over a 30 day span), I would try to turn back on and see if it gets close to the normal amount pre-tracking breakage!

Thanks,

BI

Re: CPC went up after an error in the lead tracking code, how can I get it back to normal cost?

Top Contributor Alumni
# 3
Top Contributor Alumni

One thing I can suggest would be to go through the change history and see what bid changes have been happening. This could be a long task but it depends on how much has been changed since things went wrong.

One thing I would highly recommend would be to take regular archives of the account using adwords editor so you can revert back to them if you need to.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
I'd also recommend you try manual bidding overall. We've found that 90% of the time, you'll do a better job with manual bids than with automatic bidding.