AdWords
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

CPA Vs. CPC

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Just curious what everyone's thoughts on bidding CPA Vs. CPC is?  I like CPA for the fact that it keeps my end goals in check. BUT I am finding now that I dont like the lack of control of keywords. I would like to hear from those who manage their own accounts and some thoughts from agencies and what they do for thier clients in this regard.

Cheers,

Steve

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: CPA Vs. CPC

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi SGladue,

I've found that for a more hands off approach on a stable and well performing account with good conversion history, Conversion Optimizer with CPA bidding can be quite successful.  As you mentioned, it keeps your ultimate goal in mind: Conversions.  Depending on the goals of the client/campaigns determine if/when I use CO with CPA bidding. 

I'm not sure what you mean about keyword control...perhaps you're referring to individual keyword bidding...and yes you do lose control there but with enoough relevant conversion history and a well contructed campaign, that should be a good trade-off.

CO is not the best solution for every campaign and I use it sparingly but does have great use in certian situations.

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Re: CPA Vs. CPC

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your insight. By keyword control, yes,  I mean that I cannot manually set some keywords to certain CPC's that I feel get way over bid and the cost per conversions are very high. Then some that convert for lower costs are under bid.  I'm in a very competative market so I know Adwords needs to ramp up certain keywords to obtain relevent conversions and try to get them into my Max or target CPA.

I'm thinking of starting separate campaigs for the best performing keywords on a CPC and see what is gettig me the best CPA and ROI's.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

You perhaps don't mind if I add my own opinion and experi...

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

You perhaps don't mind if I add my own opinion and experience to this thread. I usually think of such automated tools as of an aircraft autopilot which probably can do a great job when everything is normal. I need to add, however, that in recent years I can't recall a month or a week when I could have said it was business as usual. I always had to test, change, modify, research, launch or end something, a boat sailing on high waters. Consequently we have never been able to meet logical pre-conditions.

Nevertheless, once or twice we made an experiment with automation, not that it was what we needed but we were curious to learn about these tools. The results were disappointing, performance numbers deteriorated substantially, so much so that we had to stop it in a few weeks. Nevertheless, I would not like to say it's not worth a shot, however, I pretty much doubt whether it's the best option for new advertisers. Anyway if you decide to give it a try be very cautious and keep a close eye on it.

Hi SGladue, I do agree with everything what was written a...

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 5
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
Hi SGladue,

I do agree with everything what was written above. Just to add, that CPA is as Lakatos nicely named it an "autopilot". I saw it working for an account with strong conversion history. You can test it for a week or two and if you don't see any benefit in your account, you can turn it off and go back to your original bidding option.

Best,
Zee
G+