AdWords
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Broad match confusion: why not just match to my keyword?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

OK, for example I am bidding on the broad match keywords "Mississippi River" and "Labrador Dog." (I know quotes signify phrase match, but I want to deliniate the words)

In my Matched Search Query Report it tells me Google users entered "Mississippi River," it was matched with and triggered the ad for keyword "Labrador Dog," that ad was clicked on 262 times, and visitors converted 26 times.

Now I have 26 conversions under "Labrador Dog" when visitors were looking for "Mississippi River" in the first place.

What the heck? Why not just match with "Mississippi River" trigger that ad and keep the conversions under that term?

Can anybody help me?

Thanks, • Brad

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Broad match confusion: why not just match to my keyword?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi truenorth675,

Do you have all the keywords and ads in one ad group? I am guessing you probably do. The "Mississippi River" and "Labrador Dog" keywords and ads should be in separate ad groups or serarate campaign. If you have more than one ad in an ad group, they simply rotate. No attempt is made to match the right ad to a keywords within an ad group.

If this does not address your problem, please let us know.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Re: Broad match confusion: why not just match to my keyword?

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

HI

In addition to what petebardo has said above 

you should go through this article

http://support.google.com/adwords/certification/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=151917

Hope it helps

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog