AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Broad keyword triggered by unrelated search query

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I want to analyze how dumb broad keyword matching can be:

1) Keyword(broad):   computer troubleshooting guide 

Search term : trouble shooting

2) Keyword(broad): computer problems troubleshooting

Search term : troubleshoot problems

Search term is from Keyword Details -> Search Terms->Selected and Match Type displayed there is "Broad Match". Total cost of two clicks(one each): $3 both at ad position of 2.

First of all I don't know why in world somebody'd type in trouble shooting like generic term in Google search. Even if she did, wouldn't it be unthinkable for Google to popup my ad meant for keyword computer troubleshooting guide?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Broad keyword triggered by unrelated search query

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

@utilitiesindia wrote:

Thanks Richard and Moshe but I'm quite aware of these. I want a broad discussion as to how stupid broad match can turn out to be.

I don't understand the point in discussing how stupid broad match can be.  If you think that, then don't use it.  That's why I suggested not using it, at all.  Replace your existing use of broad match with the broad match modifier.

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

This is why Google introduced the broad match modifier.  Too many advertisers were unhappy with the expanded + contracted nature of broad match but didn't want to be too restrictive with phrase matching.  Don't use broad match anymore.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

utilitiesindia;

Suggested reading on this topic, I have found to be helpful;

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Adding negative keywords an experimenting with match types might help. Besides that, Google will always give you some strange broad matched queries, that's how they squeeze every penny out of you.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Richard and Moshe but I'm quite aware of these. I want a broad discussion as to how stupid broad match can turn out to be.

In one account I've even noticed that for competitive keywords(with high CPC) broad match works just fine. It behooves Google to have more data about high paying keywords.

Do you have any such interesting cases ?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

@utilitiesindia wrote:

I don't understand the point in discussing how stupid broad match can be.  If you think that, then don't use it.  That's why I suggested not using it, at all.  Replace your existing use of broad match with the broad match modifier.