AdWords
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Broad Match Modifier - error in keyword stats?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I recently switched a bunch of keywords over in a campaign to BMM.

When I came back to check the stats the next day, all of the modified search terms showed 0 impressions.

Other BM keywords showed lots of impressions.

Thinking that I had implemented BMM wrongly, I removed the "+" from the front of the terms.

The stats for the keyword then immediately updated to show impressions and clicks from the previous day for the modified keywords!

(NB: I implemented BMM by inserting a + in front of a word that I wanted only variants on,

e.g. Sailing Lesson became Sailing +Lesson)

Am I implenting BMM wrongly? Is there a known bug in the keyword stats? Has anyone seen this before?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Broad Match Modifier - error in keyword stats?

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

I had thought that you could apply a BMM to a single keyword but the overall search term in effect remained BM.

On the contrary, while you can apply the BMM modifier to only one keyword, the "overall effect" is going to be much more UNmodified broad match. 

In your original example -- Sailing +Lesson -- you have essentially told the system that you wanted to require the appearance of the word "lesson" (or "lessons") in the search query, but that you were only interested in things sort of, kind of, more-or-less like the word "sailing."  These might include sail, sailboat, sailing boat, and other variations.

You've left the system the option of serving your ad to someone who searches for "sailboat tours & scuba diving lessons" for instance. Or "sailboat rentals and windsurfing lessons."  

In my experience, it's much better to exercise the additional control offered by using the BMM modifier on all keywords in my phrase. That sometimes means I wind up using three or four relatively similar BMM terms but it provides me with much better results.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello there;

NO;

Adding a + is the correct way;

But remember that BMM does not include synonyms (As many advertisers what to avoid triggering the ad by synonyms unrelated to the keyword.). Naturally, as a result, the number of impressions decreases. Has the CTR increased ?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

First, let me point out that you need the + sign in front of each word in the phrase in order to have modified broad match function correctly.

So, as per your example, you're requiring "lesson" to be in the user's search stream, but you're not requiring "sailing" to be present. You're leaving it up to the system to decide what kind of "lesson" traffic to serve. Because you've used the word "sailing" there's a strong possibility that your "lesson" traffic will be largely boat-related, but it's not going to all be related to learning to sail.

Second, it may have been a temporary 'glitch' in the data posting system that showed you those 0 performance numbers at first.

Theresa
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Er no Moshe.... because I had no impressions for the BMM terms - I had no clicks - hence no CTR.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Theresa - Possibly the problem, but I need to understand further?

I had thought that you could apply a BMM to a single keyword but the overall search term in effect remained BM.

Hence "+lesson" would match "lesson" and "lessons" (variants) but not "courses" (synonyms).

The 'sailing' would only match synonyms of sailing, so it would be things like "sail" "sailing" "boating" etc.

This gives a decent set of combinations, but still doesn't explain zero impressions.

On the chance it was a temporary glitch I'll setup some more and let them run.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

On the contrary, while you can apply the BMM modifier to only one keyword, the "overall effect" is going to be much more UNmodified broad match. 

In your original example -- Sailing +Lesson -- you have essentially told the system that you wanted to require the appearance of the word "lesson" (or "lessons") in the search query, but that you were only interested in things sort of, kind of, more-or-less like the word "sailing."  These might include sail, sailboat, sailing boat, and other variations.

You've left the system the option of serving your ad to someone who searches for "sailboat tours & scuba diving lessons" for instance. Or "sailboat rentals and windsurfing lessons."  

In my experience, it's much better to exercise the additional control offered by using the BMM modifier on all keywords in my phrase. That sometimes means I wind up using three or four relatively similar BMM terms but it provides me with much better results.

Theresa
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*