AdWords
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Broad Match Modifier + Phrase Match together

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I was changing my keyword match types from broad match modifier to phrase for a couple of keywords, when I noticed if I left the BMM and added phrase match around it, it was a higher QS than if I had one or the other.  Why is that?  

I.e. +local electrician to & "+local electrician"   The Quality Score went up when I combined BMM and PM, but from what I can find, this shouldn't work, but it seems to be doing just that.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sean D
September 2015

Re: Broad Match Modifier + Phrase Match together

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Sean,

Yes, you can technically include the + symbols inside of your phrase match keyword but it will be treated as phrase and just phrase.

"Keep in mind that the broad match modifier feature only works when used with broad match keywords."

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497702?hl=en

As far as QS is concerned, if you have just edited or added these keywords, you'll likely be seeing just initial QS based on history of the keyword itself and its historical performance in AdWords, which will adjust accordingly as you actually build up traffic and history.

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sean D
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Sean,

Yes, you can technically include the + symbols inside of your phrase match keyword but it will be treated as phrase and just phrase.

"Keep in mind that the broad match modifier feature only works when used with broad match keywords."

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497702?hl=en

As far as QS is concerned, if you have just edited or added these keywords, you'll likely be seeing just initial QS based on history of the keyword itself and its historical performance in AdWords, which will adjust accordingly as you actually build up traffic and history.

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
You will often see a bump in QS when you edit a keyword - only to see it drop back down again hours later. As for adding the + within phrase match, Google will essentially ignore it so there is no benefit...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
That's what I've determined, but even when I come back to the keywords it appears to be higher say a week later. I understand that can just be the historical performance taking effect, but it just seemed like an interesting coincidence and wanted to clarify.

Thanks for you help.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks a lot, much appreciated. That's what I've understood, but I wanted to make sure.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

The QS metric does not matter much especially in phrase and broad since it is just an average. You can have QS 1's and 8's all showing up for the same keyword bid.  All that really matters is your detailed report and what you paid per click and even then there are many randomly changing factors that can affect it. 

I try to create exact matches of anything that gets consistent monthly traffic or phrase matches. My goal is to have broad match catch things that are not typed in much and to catch first time phrases. As in the very long tail.