AdWords
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Bounce Rate

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I think I posed this in the wrong area earlier so I am posting it here.

I am trying to understand how and why when people click on my google ad, the majority of people engage with my website for less than 10 seconds, that is not even enough time to read anything on the page. However when people arrive to my site from places other than adwords they do to engage.

adwords has an 88% bounce rate  average time 0:27

organic has a 59% bounce rate  average time 1:44

bing has a 50% bounce rate  average time 1:23

direct has a 40% bounce rate  average time 2:49

I am wondering if competitors are clicking my ad, or are running a bot to click my ads and eat up my money.  I find it suspicious that clicks I pay for are unproductive and inconsistent from all of the other sources of clicks.

If someone engages with a page for less than 10 seconds, Google should be considering that an invalid click as there is no way anyone is arriving on a business site for a legitimate reason and engaging for less than 10 seconds.  I am starting to feel that I am throwing money out the window with adwords.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Bounce rate

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am trying to understand how and why when people click on my google ad, the majority of people engage with my website for less than 10 seconds, that is not even enough time to read anything on the page. However when people arrive to my site from places other than adwords they do to engage.

adwords has an 88% bounce rate  average time 0:27

organic has a 59% bounce rate  average time 1:44

bing has a 50% bounce rate  average time 1:23

direct has a 40% bounce rate  average time 2:49

I am wondering if competitors are clicking my ad, or are running a bot to click my ads and eat up my money.  I find it suspicious that clicks I pay for are unproductive and inconsistent from all of the other sources of clicks.

If someone engages with a page for less than 10 seconds, Google should be considering that an invalid click as there is no way anyone is arriving on a business site for a legitimate reason and engaging for less than 10 seconds.  I am starting to feel that I am throwing money out the window with adwords.

Bounce Rate

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

@kenneth a;

This is a great question.

Google checks the validity of the clicks. (E.g. it's source, user id and  other signals). If found invalid you are automatically credited.

If the  engagement with your landing page,  coming from organic search, is far below average for traffic coming from AdWords, this signals that there is no relevancy between the landing page, the ad-copy and the keywords. In other words: users search for one thing and find a different product offering, hence bounce quickly.

I would look into keywords mach types and the ad-copy. A good point to start in the search terms report , showing the users' queries vs the keywords which were matched.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Bounce Rate

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Please remember that Google does not compute time for the last page a visitor lands on - and if the last page is also the first page then the time on site is zero.

That sounds counter-intuitive so let me break it down.

A visitor lands on your site - Google takes a timestamp. Pages viewed is 1, time on site is currently zero.... there is only a starting timestamp.

Now... if the visitor moves on to another page Google gets another timestamp. Pages viewed is now 2, time on site is the difference between the first and the second timestamps.

If, however, the visitor leaves the site before visiting the second page, there is no second timestamp and thus time on site remains zero.

Equally, it doesn't matter how long they might stay on the second page if they then leave the site - time on site will only reflect the time spent on the first (i.e. the difference between the two timestamps)

So.... in your case, if you are sending visitors to a landing page they may well be finding what they were looking for and have little need to navigate to other parts of your site. Other visitors may go to your home page (direct traffic, for example) and then have to navigate to the area of your site that they are looking for.

Bounce rate and time on site can, therefore, be misleading in certian circumstances.

How do the traffic sources compare in terms of conversions?

Bounce Rate

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

No, this is not the case at all. My keywords and landing page are 100% relevant to the topics being searched and I have checked the search terms every day for the last month.

Bounce Rate

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner

You shouldn't assume that just because you think the KW's, ad copy, and landing page are relevant, that the end user does as well. What are the top engagement landing pages in analytics, regardless of the traffic source? Is that the landing page you are using for the ads?

Tom