AdWords
5K members online now
5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Blog Tracking

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Can we track wordpress blog through analytic if we use free version of wordpress blog? How can we do it?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Blog Tracking

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Reenu,

Not sure if the free version of WordPress allows you to paste a code in every page. If it does, you can directly copy the code from GA and paste it in the your theme’s header.php right after the <body> tag.

You can find the header.php file in your theme's directory that looks like this:
abc.com/wp-content/themes/mytheme/header.php

In case the free version of WordPress doesn't allow pasting a code, you can use plugins (try a light one) that integrate your GA with WordPress.

Hope that's helpful!
Sumanth Sridhar

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Reenu,

Wordpress free version allows to add text box on the side bars where you can add JS script as well.

So add it and copy paste analytics script there. It will start tracking your blog.

Cheers
SJ

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi SJAWiser,

Please Clear me how can i do it. Where is to add textbox option and how can i add code?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Reenu,

(This question should have been in google analytics forum. J)

Preferred method is to add GA code in header.php, but you can use below if you can’t edit that file.

Login to wordpress admin>> Appearance >> Widgets >> Textbox (generally has description like “Arbitrary text or HTML. ”) >> Drag it to your side bar if you have and add GA code there.

It won’t display anything on your blog but GA code will be executed.

Hope this helps!

SJ

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi SJAWiser,
I have tried this same thing but it is not helpful. when i paste GA code in textbox and drag it in sidebar. GA Code was displaying on blog on live. What Should i do?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Reenu,

Can you please provide actual blog url to check the code.

Make sure you don't remove script tags while copying and pasting.

And as the question relates to analytics, you may ask it on analytics forum here

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/analytics

SJ

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi SJAWiser,

URL is http://freeadwordsguide.wordpress.com/
At the bottom, you can see displaying code.

And thanks for analytic forum. Smiley Happy

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Reenu,

1. You can remove title of the text box "GA Tracking Code". You can keep it blank.

2.  Replace your code with below code. (Only added opening and closing script tags)

<script>
(function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m){i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i[r]=i[r]||function(){
  (i[r].q=i[r].q||[]).push(arguments)},i[r].l=1*new Date();a=s.createElement(o),
  m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m)
  })(window,document,'script','//www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js','ga');

ga('create', 'UA-41824671-1', 'auto');
  ga('send', 'pageview');
</script>

Hope this works!
SJ

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi SJAWiser,
I am sorry to disturb you again. I tried to do same thing as you said above. But same problem is being occur, code is now displaying on blog.