AdWords
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Bids Are Costing Higher than Top Page Bid

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Here is the data, which is required to suggest

Can you please help me know why it costs me higher than Top page bid.  
FYI: (I have also activated Bid adjustments by location & Time) Increased by 10%

MAX CPC: $10.20

Top Page Bid: $6.80

Cost: $9.90

Avg Pos: 2.4
First Page Bid: $2.10
Quality Score: 5/10
Clicks: 1

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Bids Are Costing Higher than Top Page Bid

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hello, Neeraj.

Top of page means one of the first three positions. So when you get in position two or one, you'll have to beat one or two advertisers who also need to bid at least (their) top of page bid.

Top does not mean #1 and bidding what the top of page bid indicates does not guarantee #1. It only guarantees that you'll be served in positions #1 - #3 in most auctions.

On the other hand, your QS of 5 is rather low, which is why the system has to compensate for it by bidding as high as possible (but still within the 10.20 * 1.1 for time and location).

Imagine that you bid against someone that has a QS of 8-10 and has an ad rank that would put him in #3. You'll have to pay much more than he's bidding.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Re: Bids Are Costing Higher than Top Page Bid

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Neeraj D

Top page bid is estimated bid that is good hint from Adwords system saying that you really need to optimize your keyword. And Adwords may charge Cost that would be ess than or equal to Max CPC. Top page bid is not bid strategy but it is only estimated bid which is suggested by Adword system Corresponding Quality Scores for your keywords .

Top of page bid estimates can help guide your bid planning, bidding higher than the top of page bid estimate will not guarantee a top ad position. Ad position will still depend on Quality Score, your CPC bid, your budget and account settings, and user and competing advertiser behavior.

For More info - http://adwords.blogspot.in/2011/08/top-of-page-bid-estimates.html

Hope this will Help You. Cheers!!

Thanks