AdWords
5.7K members online now
5.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Bid Simulators and keyword first & top of page estimates

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have a question regarding how the keyword bid simulator works in conjunction with a keywords est first & top of page bid(s).

Firstly after speaking to adwords customer services i confirmed the following details;

• The top of page impressions column in the bid simulator does indeed mean estimated impressions you would receive on the top of page one of the Google search results.  Emphasis on Page 1 of google!
  • Estimted first page and top of page estimates may have a lag (time delay) of a couple of hours but generally are updated to show the figures as of today.

As the bid simulators estimate the clicks, cost and impressions by analysing your own performance and competitor performance for the data range it would be a reasonable asumption to assume that this is also how the est first and top of page values are calculated for a keyword......& more than probable that the first and top of page estimates also work in the same way.

What i would like to question is that how can my keyword bid simulator estimate that i could get top of page impressions for my keyword for £3.00 but my top of page estimate is £24.40?!

I undersand that both values issued are estimated but the two figures are miles apart.

The only thing i can think of is that as the bid simulators have a lag (time delay) of roughly 2days that the simulator might show a top of page impression of approx £24.00 in a couple of days but if this isnt the case why do the first and top of page estimates not run in conjunction with the bid simulators??

Any details would be appreciated

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Bid Simulators and keyword first & top of page estimates

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi there;
As you have already figured out, these are just estimates.... And like any statistical estimate, it has a margin of error, which sometimes is quite high. In these cases, I wouldn't rely much on the estimator, and prefer the raw historical data provided by the keyword planner.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi MosheTLV,

It seem that Google Adwords concentrates on devising many new innovations and features, without taking care on the true performance metrics that actually matter to advertisers.

What is the point of the bid simulators if they don't work to some degree of accuracy, don't the tech guys at adwords test any features before putting them live?! If the data that the bid simulators is estimating is just generated random, non specific numbers to my account why don't they just remove the feature and concentrate on just one feature that actually works.

Sorry for the rant, but it seems adwords has the ''margin of error'' on most of its features. The saying of jack of all trades master of none springs to mind.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Paul;

I completely agree.
I have been  long advocating that Google should include the standard deviation of the metrics reported. In statistics,  reporting the average   or mean without the range / spread, has no real  statistical meaning. (And Adwords is all about statistics....)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’