AdWords
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Best way to remove negative multiple keywords?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi There,

I am working on a e-commerce website's adwords account. Actually this account already have multiple campaign & ad-groups in them. So, every ad-group has more than 1000 negative keywords in which I found in keyword tab - details - search term (All). Which is the best way to remove negative keywords. Should I have to remove these keywords one by one? Or If I remove all keyword once then it will also remove postitive one two. This might occur some bad effects on my campaigns. Please give me some suggestions what to do now?

Thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mandeep S
September 2015

Re: Best way to remove negative multiple keywords?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Mandeep.

Can i know how you catagorized those 1000+ keywords as negative keywords? In a search term report you can see the search phrases made by users so when selecting negative keywords from them you don't need to select the whole word and ban it completely.

Lets say you do a shuttle service and your search term reports have search phrases like "Train service" , Taxi Service" "Train to point x to z" "Taxi to point a" , in these cases you can just ban train and taxi instead of banning all 4 words.

So if you can categorize all of ur negative keywords it would be easier and when choosing negative keywords make sure that they wont have any impact for your keywords that make sales etc

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

"if I am having 1000 of keywords in search terms & most of them are negative then how to remove those search terms"

Keywords and "search terms" are 2 different things. The search terms report contains phrases used by searchers which matched your keywords and triggered a click. 

For example a single keyword can trigger 10.000 search terms. If you use the keyword +tablet +price it has the potential to trigger all "Search terms" containing those 2 words and more words besides them and those words can be inside the search term in any order.

If you want to use more "search terms" from that report as negative keywords in exact match, you can simply select the desired search terms and click the button "Add as negative keyword" in the upper side of the "search terms report". The wizard will help you select the ad group or campaign where you want to add those "search terms" as "negative keywords". ( edit : the default match type negative is Exact)

Just make sure that for the exact match you also create plural words, as "negative keywords" do not block singular/plural variations by default.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Mandeep.

Can i know how you catagorized those 1000+ keywords as negative keywords? In a search term report you can see the search phrases made by users so when selecting negative keywords from them you don't need to select the whole word and ban it completely.

Lets say you do a shuttle service and your search term reports have search phrases like "Train service" , Taxi Service" "Train to point x to z" "Taxi to point a" , in these cases you can just ban train and taxi instead of banning all 4 words.

So if you can categorize all of ur negative keywords it would be easier and when choosing negative keywords make sure that they wont have any impact for your keywords that make sales etc

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks Nisal,

Can you help me out? how to choose keyword format for adding negative keywords? like exact , phrase or broad?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Mandeep,

I suppose you are referring to the search terms with the red tag "Excluded" near them in the Search terms report. Those are indeed also negative keywords.

What you need to do is to go the the Keywords tab in each of the ad groups, to scroll the keywords page and at the bottom of it you will find a window called "Negative keywords" . In that list are stored negative keywords at the ad group level.

Next you have to search if there are negative keywords at the campaign level and "negative keywords lists" applied to multiple campaigns, in the "Shared library" found on the left.

Negative keywords and positive keywords are not in the same list.

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
Well the best thing you can do is add phrases you dont need as negative keywords

see this eg by Google

"Your ads still might show on searches and pages that contain variations of the terms that you select as negative keywords. Your ads might still show on searches that contain only one of your negative keyword terms if your keyword terms are more than one word. Let's say you add the negative keyword "wine bottle." Your ad might still show for searches and pages that contain "stemless wine glasses," "red wine," or "glass bottle." However, you ad wouldn't show for searches on "red wine bottle," "wine bottle opener," or "bottle opener for wine.""

Also to add the negative keywords on adgroup level please follow the way Adrian mentioned Smiley Happy

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks Nisal for your help

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Adrian,

I already know about ad-group & campaign level negative keywords Tab. I just want to know if I am having 1000 of keywords in search terms & most of them are negative then how to remove those search terms in a simple & time saving way.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Mandeep,

I am not sure what you are asking, what I understand you want to work on search query report and find out negative keywords. Your search query has 1000+ queries.

Well when it comes to search query I really never take it for granted and take a deep look into it. To do it quickly, You can download the sheet,

Now you can add filter and sort by Match Type: here you will see broad, phrase, exact, phrase close variant & exact close variants.

Now you can skip all the exact and exact close variants as these are basically your keywords. Delete duplicate queries. Delete excluded ones as these are already added negative keywords. And look into broad and phrase queries.

I would add don't rush take time and find negative keywords as these are very important report and success depends on it for search campaigns.

Hope that helps!

Thanks
Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

"if I am having 1000 of keywords in search terms & most of them are negative then how to remove those search terms"

Keywords and "search terms" are 2 different things. The search terms report contains phrases used by searchers which matched your keywords and triggered a click. 

For example a single keyword can trigger 10.000 search terms. If you use the keyword +tablet +price it has the potential to trigger all "Search terms" containing those 2 words and more words besides them and those words can be inside the search term in any order.

If you want to use more "search terms" from that report as negative keywords in exact match, you can simply select the desired search terms and click the button "Add as negative keyword" in the upper side of the "search terms report". The wizard will help you select the ad group or campaign where you want to add those "search terms" as "negative keywords". ( edit : the default match type negative is Exact)

Just make sure that for the exact match you also create plural words, as "negative keywords" do not block singular/plural variations by default.