AdWords
6K members online now
6K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Best Way to Track App Downloads from an Adwords App Campaign?

SMG Badged Google Partner
Badged Google Partner
# 1
Badged Google Partner

We are launching an Adwords app campaign and would like to track downloads of each version (Android and iOS). There seem to be several help articles on how to do this - is there a difference between adding the Adwords conversion tracking code through the Tools/Conversions tab, vs setting up Mobile Install Tracking in Google Analytics (new GA property required)? 

Also, my understanding is that linking the Google Play account with Adwords would be sufficient to track the Android app downloads, but I see there is additional code required?

Thanks!

Re: Best Way to Track App Downloads from an Adwords App Campaign?

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Mobile install tracking and conversion tracking do two different things..the former is really just GA for apps (https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/3389142?hl=en) that sends the data to the standard GA dashboard. The other is events tracking for when the visitor clicks a button. So your ad campaign needs the latter to track conversions, and the former to analyse app usage. That is what I understand.

Re: Best Way to Track App Downloads from an Adwords App Campaign?

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner
It looks like if I set up the conversion tracking from within Adwords, I can only see the conversion data there. Typically reporting and Analysis is done in GA.

In GA, if I set up a new Property for the App, there is a feature that can be enabled for iOS campaign tracking; can't this be tied back to Adwords?