AdWords
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Avg session Duration

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

Everyone

I want to know what is the reason behind for avg session duration be zero? I check the reports when I filtered with date and drilled to hour the stats for zero avg session duration is different but for city segment it shows different data.how can I come to find the problem that why my avg session duration is zero? is there problem with my landing page,OS version,etc.what stats should i use to analyse the problem regarding to avg session duration.Does the 50% zero avg session duration effects my sale?if yes then which point should i consider to improve it.

Thanks & regards

Cherry Anderson

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Avg session Duration

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Cherry,

Please note that single page session is assigned a duration of between 1-10 seconds based on various factors. So the first conclusion can be drawn is that you have lot of One page sessions for your website. 

In case these are specific stand alone PPC landing pages which you have created, then it is a different aspect, otherwise, you might have to review your website and work on improving it so that users spend more amount of time and your site's average session duration is increased.

You might be interested in looking at Content Experiments and try different versions of pages in your website. More details here: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1745147

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi
thanks for your answer but can u tell me if i open the page and left it for more than 30 minutes or consider one day time duration then after my bounce rate will be 100% tracked by Google analytic?and also avg session duration be zero?

Thanks & regards
Cherry Anderson

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Cherry A,

If you open the page and do not click on any internal links (links to the same web site), the bounce rate will be 100% (assuming this was the only page visit), and avg session duration will be zero seconds.

I have to disagree with Pankaj on this. Bounces also record 0 seconds on the page.

Best of Luck !

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Here is how Google Analytics calculates session time:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1006253?hl=en

Basically, if no event is recorded, usually clicking on a link to another page will be that event, the session will be counted as no spent on the site, and record that visit as a bounce. A user can literally look at the page for 5 minutes read everything on the page, but if they do not click any links, that visit will show as having zero time spent on the page and as a bounced visit. I am not sure why one report would have an average session duration of zero and another report with greater than zero for the same time frame.

To investigate the reasons for a high bounce rate for your landing page you can start with the easy things, like determining if there are any working links on that page, and if the site has Google Analytics properly set up to have tracking on all pages on that site.

Then you can start getting deeper in to the complexity of a visit. The landing page should meet the expectation of a user, so the search terms report should show if that is the case (are the search terms related to the landing page?) Are there usability issues? Grammar problems, does the landing page copy resonate with the intended user? Pankaj has a nice link to experimentation.

So, in short keep in mind targeting and messaging, in addition to the usability of the landing page, of your campaigns to hopefully improve the site interaction.