AdWords
4K members online now
4K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Avg position of competitors is high when comparing to me ?

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

Why my average position is low even I'm getting good impression share. The other advertisers are getting low impression share, but they have high avg position (who are below than me in auction insights). What is the reason? I'm missing any optimization to my ads or keywords ? or my calculation is wrong ?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Avg position of competitors is high when comparing to me ?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi John,

What is the overlap rate?

Are you bidding on broad or phrase/exact?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Please check this, if you go to Keywords Tab and check the quality score of your keyword through bubble popup, you find three options:
1. Expected Click Through Rate
2. Ad Relevance.
3. Landing Page experience.

Other advertiser have high ad position because less impression and max. clicks raised their Click through rate. Have you checked your CTR?

CTR = Clicks /impression

Their Keywords, Ad-copy and Landing page are highly relevant means good quality score.

Higher impression share doesn't indicate you will get higher ad position, Ads position is depend on Ad Rank.
Ad Rank = Max. CPC * quality score.

Hope this will help you.

Thanks,
Anuraj Singh

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author John Paul Sing
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello,

Auction Insights Report gives you approximates around how other advertisers might have been performing within the same auction as you are competing. But that doesn't mean that those advertisers would have been using the same keywords or other data like you are bidding for.

There could be other reason why your Ad position is lower. Did you check the Quality Score of your keywords? How's the bidding? How's the CTR around the keywords where you think Ad Position is low.?

I would encourage you to review this latest updated Ad Rank video by Google's Chief Economist Hal Varian released last month:

My 2 cents!

Pankaj

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks to all ...