AdWords
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Avg. pos. 9-16 is generally on the second page ?

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

It seems that every once in a while  when I try to review basic concepts about AdWords I stumble upon something new. Today I've been reading again the page about the Average position and I find this :

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/14075?hl=en

"   "1" is the highest position, and there is no "bottom" position. An average position of 1-8 is generally on the first page of search results, 9-16 is generally on the second page, and so on.  "

1) I thought that avg. pos. 9 , 10 and 11 are on the first page.....and I have never seen positions 12 to 16, not even for bids lower than the "first page bid" and I have some of these. Have you seen positions 12 to 16 ?

2) They say there is no bottom position but I see ads on the bottom of the first page all the time. Why is this ?

3) When we bid lower than the "first page bid" what happens to impressions , do we ever get to be on the second page ?

Because on the second and third page I usually see only ads that are also on the first page. Even if the 2nd or 3rd pages triggers far less clicks, people could be searching on those pages too.

4) How can one target the top of the second page , for example for very high bids for all positions in the first page ? For a minimum avg. cpc. of 10 $ on the first page I can image how someone would love to pay 0.5 $ per click but to be on the top of the second page.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Avg. pos. 9-16 is generally on the second page ?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Adrian,

Again you have came up with a great QuestionsSmiley Happy

Yes i have seen several time the ad position with more than 11.Even the avg position i have seen 24-27.

1) I thought that avg. pos. 9 , 10 and 11 are on the first page.....and I have never seen positions 12 to 16, not even for bids lower than the "first page bid" and I have some of these. Have you seen positions 12 to 16 ?

Please see in the snapshot where keyword position is higher than 11, because the keyword has low QS and  i have set the Max CPC below the First page bid.

Avg Pos1.png

Avg Pos.PNG

2) They say there is no bottom position but I see ads on the bottom of the first page all the time. Why is this ?

Yes, There is bottom position in the first page, it only possible when no ads appear at top positions and Right side slot.

Please read the link for more info.

3) When we bid lower than the "first page bid" what happens to impressions , do we ever get to be on the second page ?

Yes, you can not receive the enough clicks and impression at second page.

4) How can one target the top of the second page , for example for very high bids for all positions in the first page ? For a minimum avg. cpc. of 10 $ on the first page I can image how someone would love to pay 0.5 $ per click but to be on the top of the second page.

there is no any technique through which you can target only first positions of second page. If you set the lower than the estimated first page bid, it will not give you only 12th positions  because it also depends on the Quality score, time, location etc.

But i would also invite to others to put the valuable experience on this.

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: Avg. pos. 9-16 is generally on the second page ?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
All right but still , what do positions 9 to 11 mean , first page or second page ? Because these help instructions say that positions "9 to 16 is generally on the second page".