AdWords
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Avg Session Duration of 0 ?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

A quick question, I am a bit confused by the Avg Session duration column in Adwords. Not how it works or what it means but how data is showing to me at the moment. 

I have a 0 second average duration showing for keywords that have 1 or more clicks so i don't understand how the average session duration can be 0 for say 5 clicks? 

Thanks 

3 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Abbie R
September 2015

Re: Avg Session Duration of 0 ?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hello, Abbie.

All those visits consisted of one page view alone and no event was triggered. When that happens, Google Analytics cannot calculate the session duration (duration is calculated by subtracting the time when the first page was accessed from the time when the second was accessed).

When 5 clicks in succession lead to bounces, the average is also 0. That means people don't find your content too interesting, even if you manage to gain their attention with your ads.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Ahh I see, thank you for explaining how it is calculated. That makes sense! Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello i sew this post and also the earlier one regards this issue
when i use other tools to see my site activity ( like hotjar ) i see the users duration time.

it's really annoying because many of the products sites are one page site , can't google read the time stamp in other formats? like mouse scroll ? or exit site stamp ?

it's this really the future for one page site and google analytics ?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
this is a rather old thread.

there is a vast distinction between user-timing and bounce-rate.

bounce-rate always relates to sessions -- a group of
interactions, on the same site, in a given time frame.

user-timings relate to measuring on-page time-periods.

google-analytics offers both session and on-page timing metrics.

Community Manager
# 6
Community Manager
This 2015 thread has been closed to new replies. 

Should anyone have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

This will improve the visibility of any new questions as well as help other forum members to understand your question fully, and answer it in a useful and effective way

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the AdWords Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.