AdWords
6.9K members online now
6.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Avg CPC is way higher than the Est Top Bid

Badged Google Partner
# 1
Badged Google Partner

Hi there!

So, I have a few keywords that have Est Top Bids in pennies, but then I seem to have been paying Avg CPC that is pretty high up there. Please take a look at the screenshot.

If someone can please help me understand what am I doing wrong, it would be great.

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2014-08-03 at 9.43.34 PM.png

Re: Avg CPC is way higher than the Est Top Bid

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Because you are bidding 10$ while the estimated top page bid is 0.2 $ (50 times more) you are getting an avg. cpc higher than the estimated top of page bid. 

If you lower your bid, you will get a lower avg. cpc. and less impressions , including impressions for the Top of page segment. 

A tool to use is the Bid Simulator for each keyword to find out how much your bid influences the volume of impressions and the avg. cpc.

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner
I see. Thanks Adrian.

Two questions:
1) If I lower CPC, you say less impressions. How can I make sure I lower CPC but still get the same impressions as I was before?
2) Is there a way I can mass reduce CPC across the account by something like Est top bid + 20%?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mark H
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

1. It is possible if you increase the QS for that keyword, this way the Ad Rank for that keyword remains almost the same even if you lower the bid but it will not be an absolute result and not a result you can anticipate. The Ad Rank determines how many auctions you win to have a certain volume of impressions.

Again, use the bid simulator to see how many impressions you can have for various MaxCPC values. Those volumes will be also approximations.

2. Yes you can do this in 3 steps :

1) lower all your bids to 0.01 $ and then

2) increase all bids to "Top of page bid estimate" and then

3)  increase them again with +20%

All operations can be done from the button Edit / Change Max CPC bids...

A word of warning : setting your bids a little higher than the Estimated Top of page bids does not ensure gaining a lot of traffic. In order for your ads to appear in the Top positions you need a certain ad rank, and if your keywords have low Quality score, that ad rank will not be easily achieved.

Please read from this page :

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722087?hl=en

"To be eligible for a top spot, your Ad Rank needs to meet a minimum threshold."

Untitled.png

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner
Thanks so much Adrian!