AdWords
3.4K members online now
3.4K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Average position(s)

SCL
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
SCL
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I was recently advised from an Adwords customer services rep the follwoing;

• The average position(s) are valid just as the help centre states. However, beyond page three, the avg positions are re-set again?

So page 1 = Ads 1-3           Ads 4-11

page 2 = Ads 1, 2, 4      Ads 3, 12-18

page 3 = Ads 1, 2, 5      Ads 19-25

Page 4 = Ads 1-3           Ads 4-11

Can anyone confirm this?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Average position(s)

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello; 

I remember seeing in the early days an article  explaining how ads were cycling beyond the first page.

However;  this has become irrelevant,  along the years, since no one actually looks  (our days)  beyond the first page;

So, if you get to see your ad in lower positions, I would say something is "wrong" ,and you'd better  restructure your campaign Smiley Surprised

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi SCL, as far as I know your information is correct - it's displayed in this help article:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722122

A quick test with one of my own clients showed that their Ad appeared in #2 on page 1 and in #2 on page 2, which would be consistent with the description of how the Ads move (although, of course, a very small test).

Did you have a particular question about this?

Note that if your Ad shows an average position of 2, this doesn't mean it might always be on page 2, position.  The positions shown in the help article are the positions of the original page 1 results so for your Ad to appear in position 2 on page 2, it has to have been in position 2 on page 1.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Ohh, Jon. You found the article...

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’