AdWords
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Average position and page number

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am confused about the real meaning of Average Position.  We have many keywords for which the Status is "Below first page bid" but the Avg. Pos. is apparently good (better than 4).

Adwords help suggests that positions 1-8 are typically first page. If we are below the first page bid estimate why is our Avg. Pos. not 8 or worse ?

N.B. quality score varies across these keywords but is typically between 5/10 and 7/10.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Ahmed Ali (Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆)
September 2015

Re: Average position and page number

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi John;

This is a nice question;

"First page bid" is  just an estimate with sometimes (depending on the keyword) a huge margin of error. I would ignore it.

If you want a real figure use historical data from the keyword tool (not the estimates offered by the tool) to get the "first shot" for your bid.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Ahmed Ali (Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi John;

This is a nice question;

"First page bid" is  just an estimate with sometimes (depending on the keyword) a huge margin of error. I would ignore it.

If you want a real figure use historical data from the keyword tool (not the estimates offered by the tool) to get the "first shot" for your bid.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi John N,

One thing to consider here is match type. If the keyword is broad match, the UI message is based on exact match. That means the exact match QS is low but other queries that trigger the broad match could have a higher QS. Run a Search Terms report on those keywords. (This applies to phrase match and BMM as well)

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords