AdWords
6.8K members online now
6.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Average Position

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

On this week's report is says my Average position is .74. What does that mean?

Thanks

Alice

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Catholic Gifts a
September 2015

Re: Average Position

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Alice, it makes some sense, yes, but I understood that PLAs were not counted in the stats for an Ad Group, Campaign or Account average:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2456108?hl=en  (expand section entitled Using the Ads tab to review performance)

Was this report actually from Google or from a third-party (the SEM company).  We had a thread about this a couple of months ago and it was never satisfactorily resolved.  The poster there wasn't using PLAs and never had, which tends to rule out that explanation.

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Manage-ads/Keywords-Average-Position-Below-1/td-p/116240

Do any of the comments or suggestions in that thread help you?  Are there similarities (or differences)?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi

Unheard of.
Where do you see this (All campaign report?)?

/ David

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes - on the all campaigns report.  We have a phone meeting with our SEM company and I asked this question. This is what I was told:

The reason we are seeing positions less than 1 is due to the PLA’s (Product Listing Ads) that are now rolled up into results.  PLAs are reported as position 0.

So…thank you for the good question….I learned something today.

Does that make sense?

Thanks

Alice

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Catholic Gifts a
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Alice, it makes some sense, yes, but I understood that PLAs were not counted in the stats for an Ad Group, Campaign or Account average:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2456108?hl=en  (expand section entitled Using the Ads tab to review performance)

Was this report actually from Google or from a third-party (the SEM company).  We had a thread about this a couple of months ago and it was never satisfactorily resolved.  The poster there wasn't using PLAs and never had, which tends to rule out that explanation.

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Manage-ads/Keywords-Average-Position-Below-1/td-p/116240

Do any of the comments or suggestions in that thread help you?  Are there similarities (or differences)?

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jon

The report was from the SEM company - Website Publishing.  It seemed strange to me to see a figure lower than 1.  Everything I've read says 1 is the top position.  This is all so new for me, so I don't fully understand what they tell me sometimes.

I'll need to read it a few times, but it looks like it will help me very much as I see someone else asked the same question.

Thanks so much for your help!

Alice

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Please keep asking questions Alice, about anything you don't understand or need help with.  

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Jon - I will.  I'll try not to make you sorry you said that! Smiley Happy

Alice

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

No problem Alice, ask away.  I'd rather see a thousand threads like this one than just one of the less appreciative and more troublesome sort.

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jon

I was looking through the list of PLAs used in May by Website Publicity and noticed some SKUs that are now closeouts or in one way or another not items I would want to promote. Is it customary for the customer (me) to give them a list of SKUs to use each month rather than have them randomly select them?  I have about 3,000 SKUs, but would be willing to cherry pick the items myself to get better results.  Also, do you know what the benchmark figures are for SEM results?

Would appreciate any suggestions you have.

Thanks much

Alice