AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Autotagging with custom Source/Medium

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello All,

I'd like to be able to change the source/medium of the traffic coming from different campaigns and/or accounts while using auto-tagging. We've been using google shopping/pla for long enough that our legacy reporting uses the source 'googlebase' and the medium we used for it was 'shoppingengine' We also use different sources/mediums for our display campaigns.

The additional features (bounce rate, engagement in adwords reporting) would also be great, but I'd also like to avoid having to rebuild all of our other reporting.

Can I set the reported source/medium anywhere?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Autotagging with custom Source/Medium

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hey Joe, how are things?

Essentially when you use auto-tagging you wouldn't have to change anything. When you need to create custom Source / Medium, you'd have to use UTM paramaters,, but they are not recommended to use when you have auto-taggin on.

Thinking about it there's a option called "Allow manual tagging (UTM values) to override auto-tagging (GCLID values)" on GA settings, but I'm not sure how this would behave on your data if you apply utm_source and utm_medium to your URLs while having auto-tagging on. This is something you'd have to test.

I've never tested the option above before, but I've to say I'm against changing those. Using UTMs along with auto-tagging is known to create numerous differences on the numbers and several conflicts. It's not worth on my point of view.

Hope this helps.

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi, Thanks for the reply.

We actually "tested" with autotagging for a few days when I migrated an MCC account and accidentally enabled autotagging for all of the accounts. Unfortunately, even though our URL's contain the UTM parameters we'd like, the traffic 'still funnels into Google / cpc as source/medium.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hey Joe, how are things?

Just to clear scenarios, did your test used "Allow manual tagging (UTM values) to override auto-tagging (GCLID values)"? This does not come turned on by default, so it's most likely that you just ran the test with auto-tagging + UTM, without this override, which is definitely a bad thing and would create data conflict.

If you haven't made the test with this option enable, is a way to go. Other than that if the test doesn't work, you will not escape the rebuild I guess.

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi guys. I've run a quick test myself, by appending ?gclid=test&utm_source=somesource&utm_medium=somemedium to a regular URL. Then I checked the real-time reports in Google Analytics. Unfortunately, the source and medium were still reported as google / cpc. So it seems that even if you can overwrite some values (utm_keyword, utm_campaign & utm_term perhaps) it definitely does not overwrite the source and medium.

So, Joe, I think that in your case you may be able to achieve what you want with Channel Grouping: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6010097?hl=en

Did you try this before? Let us know if that'll do the trick.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.