AdWords
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Automatic placements tagging for Automatic display campaigns

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I would be glad if anyone can help me with setting up automatically tagging placements in URLs under utm_source or any other parameter.

We run two kinds of campaigns on Adwords Display Network:

• One campaign has Managed placements. Hence, we know which placements we are targetting. So, if we are targetting a placement 'website.com', custom destination URL for that placement is 'http://www.mywebsite.com.in/index1.php?campaign=CampaignName&keyword=Keyword&source=website.com
  • Second type of campaign is an automatic campaign where we dont define the placement name. We only define keywords and based on the keyword trigerring, our ads show on various sites. Now, our main issue is that we are unable to track the placements in this campaign. How can I automatically get the placement name in our destination URLwhen an Ad is clicked from this random placement?
Please help!

Ravi Mittal
1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Automatic placements tagging for Automatic display campaigns

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Ravi,

Welcome to AdWords Community Smiley Happy

If you are running Keywords contextual campaigns in GDN and want to use value parameter, you can use in this way:-

mywebsite.in/?keyword={keyword}&placement={placement}
If you set the bid at keyword level then it will automatically add the keywords in the URL and show the placement domain, where your ads appear, in the URL.

Please read more about the Value parameter in the below article:-

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375447?hl=en
--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Ravi,

To add to Rakesh's great answer, were you aware you can see performance data, by Automatic Placement, inside of your AdWords Account?  

See Automatic Placement Performance inside of AdWords

If you specifically want to see performance of Automatic Placements only inside of Analytics, if you  have your Google Campaigns tagged with Analytics Tracking URLs, you should be able to see by

1.  Logging into Google Analytics

2.  Click on the Acquisition mend (left hand side navigation)

3.  Click on AdWords

4.  Click on Placements

5.  Click on Automatic Placements

Seeing Automatic Placements in Google Analytics

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Ravi,

Welcome to AdWords Community Smiley Happy

If you are running Keywords contextual campaigns in GDN and want to use value parameter, you can use in this way:-

mywebsite.in/?keyword={keyword}&placement={placement}
If you set the bid at keyword level then it will automatically add the keywords in the URL and show the placement domain, where your ads appear, in the URL.

Please read more about the Value parameter in the below article:-

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375447?hl=en
--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Ravi,

To add to Rakesh's great answer, were you aware you can see performance data, by Automatic Placement, inside of your AdWords Account?  

See Automatic Placement Performance inside of AdWords

If you specifically want to see performance of Automatic Placements only inside of Analytics, if you  have your Google Campaigns tagged with Analytics Tracking URLs, you should be able to see by

1.  Logging into Google Analytics

2.  Click on the Acquisition mend (left hand side navigation)

3.  Click on AdWords

4.  Click on Placements

5.  Click on Automatic Placements

Seeing Automatic Placements in Google Analytics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Rakesh! I tested your solution and this is precisely what I was looking for! Been thinking of this for a long time now, I now regret why I did not ask the question earlier.

Thanks a ton!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Vkore! Didn't know about this! Quite useful stuff!

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
You are Welcome Ravi,
Please feel free to put you Query on Forum Smiley Happy, You will always get a good reply.