AdWords
1.4K members online now
1.4K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Auto tagging v/s manual tagging

aks
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
aks
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

what is the difference between auto tagging and manual tagging, and which one is more beneficial in which circumstances?

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author aks
September 2015

Re: Auto tagging v/s manual tagging

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello.

Manual tagging means more effort on your part. Auto-tagging relies on a click id (gclid) which ties the clicker to the ad.

Google Analytics can share data with AdWords, and you can have the greatest information set at your disposal, in Analytics.

On the other hand, if you do not use Google Analytics, auto-tagging is meaningless, because Omniture or Coremetrics or Piwik cannot query Google AdWords for "inside data". If you use third-party Analytics packages, you need to read their documentation and tag your destination URLs in a way that the Analytics package understands.

In both situations, you need to test that your website allows for parameters in URLs and test your destination URLs before launching the ads. There were occasions when a ?gclid=1234 or &gclid=1234, appended to a URL, caused an error and nothing was tracked.

Quick word of advice (and Google Analytics plug): if you're not forced to use something else, dive into Analytics linked with AdWords and auto-tagging and you'll be very pleasantly surprised.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.