AdWords
6K members online now
6K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Auto-tagging off by default now?

Top Contributor Alumni
# 1
Top Contributor Alumni

I noticed that new accounts now seem to have auto-tagging disabled by default.

Is this a deliberate change or a bug? 

Is this something other people have noticed as well? I only realised it recently after analytics data was not flowing correctly and an ex-colleague of mine is having this problem as well.

It's not so much a problem now that we are aware of the change, but it would have been nice to know about it happening, unless this is a bug of some sort.

If anyone has any ideas on what happened I'd appreciate it if they could give us some clarification.

Re: Auto-tagging off by default now?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
It's been that way in my accounts for at least the last 6 months.

Re: Auto-tagging off by default now?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I just had this happen on a new account & campaign I'm managing.   I found the following on Google's very own Adwords Help site, dated 11/13/2012:

Auto-tagging

A feature that automatically creates custom destination URLs to help you track your ad performance using website tracking programs like Google Analytics.

• If you have multiple ads that link to the same page on your website, auto-tagging will attach a parameter to your ads' destination URLs to help you tell which ad was clicked for each visit to your site.
  • Google Analytics and similar programs can use the information in auto-tagged URLs to tell you which AdWords keywords brought a visitor to your site, which campaign that keyword was from, and how much that click cost.
  • By default, auto-tagging is turned on. You can check whether auto-tagging in on, as well as turn it on or off, by going to the Preferences page under the My Account tab.